Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Breno Jacinto <br...@freeunix.com.br> on 2007/12/03 02:33:59 UTC

Tomcat serving static pages

Hello,

    I wonder if today, with Tomcat's maturity, is there any need to
integrate it with Apache JK modules just for serving static content?
Actually I run a single website where I had done such integration, but I
begin to think that it not a real necessity (we have very few static pages
and images).

    I'd like to know what do you guys think about it?

regards,

--
:: Breno Jacinto ::
:: breno - at - gprt.ufpe.br ::

RE: Tomcat serving static pages

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Breno Jacinto [mailto:breno@freeunix.com.br]
> Subject: Tomcat serving static pages
>
> I wonder if today, with Tomcat's maturity, is there any need to
> integrate it with Apache JK modules just for serving static content?

My opinion: definitely not.  There are reasons you might want to run
httpd in front of Tomcat (e.g., load balancing, various CGI schemes),
but serving static content isn't one of them.

If you have a significant SSL load, you might want to look at the APR
library for use with Tomcat:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/apr.html

It uses OpenSSL and is pretty much the same connector code as httpd.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.