Posted to l10n@openoffice.apache.org by Pedro Albuquerque <pa...@gmail.com> on 2014/07/08 22:32:14 UTC

Web site search button

Hi,
here is a suggestion, I asked for this change some time ago and still
think it's needed because it truncates some of the used words.
The size of the search button is a bit short for several languages.
The actual width size is 60 px. I think a size of 85 px (or whatever is
necessary) would serve every language better without having to create
css exceptions, localized or general.
It would improve the look of the site, no matter what language it's
seen. Don't everyone agree?
This could also be added to (or included in) the thread 'Detecting
Visitor's Locale'. Maybe some script to detect the size of the word?

Pedro.

Re: Web site search button

Posted by Pedro Albuquerque <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

> URL? example?
Thanks to the drop down list we don't need an URL. Try Portuguese-pt.
It's very short, as Lithuanian. French site chose to abbreviate the word
and there are others that didn't even translate the word 'Search'.
Regards,
Pedro.

Re: Web site search button

Posted by Tal Daniel <ta...@gmail.com>.
Alexandro, I'm willing to give Bootstrap or Pure a try; they seem simple
enough to integrate (Bootstrap seems more mature). SASS, though, seems like
an overkill.

Aivaras, thanks.

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 1:51 PM, Aivaras Stepukonis <as...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I agree. Some styling and formatting elements of the website (fonds,
> sizes, alignment, etc.) could be made a little more appealing to the eye. A
> few minor tweaks and tune-ups would go a long way. I know some of it is
> already happening as I'm writing this, thanks to Marcus and Tal, and
> possibly other volunteers!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Aivaras
>
> 2014.07.11 02:41, Alexandro Colorado rašė:
>
>  Any thought using CSS on the web controls, they simply look so ugly and
>> outdated.

טל

Re: Web site search button

Posted by Aivaras Stepukonis <as...@gmail.com>.

Re: Web site search button

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
Any thought using CSS on the web controls, they simply look so ugly and
outdated. I recommend using Bootstrap or some CSS framework like Stylus or
SASS.
http://sass-lang.com/

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 6:11 AM, Aivaras Stepukonis <as...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Here's what I see in my browser (Vista, Firefox) <
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/lt56r2m3fefxy52/Front%20Page%
> 20View%20140710-1.jpg>.
>
> Regards,
>
> Aivaras
>
> 2014.07.10 13:51, Tal Daniel rašė:
>
>  On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 12:51 PM, Aivaras Stepukonis <
>> astepukonis@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>  Could the horizontal size of the search button be made dynamic, if it is
>>> not?
>>>
>> 1. making the search field+button the same height as the language field;
>>
>>> 2. centering vertically "Language:" with respect to the language field;
>>> 3. centering vertically the language name shown in the language field.
>>>
>>> I've removed the fixed width & height the search button had, on the
>>>
>> staging site (http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/), and (1.) made heights
>> of language list and search button equal.
>>
>> (2.) Vertical centering of lanaugages list title to the select box is
>> possible (by inserting items into a table with 1 row), but it looks OK to
>> me. (3.) Vertical centering of select options isn't possible, AFAIK, and
>> it
>> looks OK to me.

Alexandro Colorado
Apache OpenOffice Contributor

Re: Web site search button

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
I already publish this under a different thread proposal but want to
re-publish the proposal to use JScrollpane() from JQuery and style the UI
of the front pages' scrollbars. You can see a test here:
http://people.apache.org/~jza/index.html

Another proposal already working on is a showcase plugin which would be
ideal for the 'Recent news' and moving from a vertical scrollbar to a
carrousell slider fashion, most common with news. Here is a full screen
demo.
http://showcase.awkwardgroup.com/

Re: Web site search button

Posted by Tal Daniel <ta...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 1:49 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>
wrote:

> I see it correctly aligned vertically (Firefox and Chrome on Linux). But
> indeed it seems that we would need a bigger width than 220px for
> div.topsrchbox and that this would allow longer strings in the Search
> button that do not result in wrapping (i.e., the buttons goes under the
> search field).

Andrea, I see your point. I'll take care of the search button wrapping
below the search input field.

Re: Web site search button

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: Web site search button

Posted by Aivaras Stepukonis <as...@gmail.com>.

Re: Web site search button

Posted by Tal Daniel <ta...@gmail.com>.

Re: Web site search button

Posted by Aivaras Stepukonis <as...@gmail.com>.
Could the horizontal size of the search button be made dynamic, if it is
not?

It would also benefit the appearance of the website if the search
field+button were more attuned to the language name and the dropdown
field. This, of course, would need some experimentation and going by
eye. Some things I'd consider:

Re: Web site search button

Posted by Tal Daniel <ta...@gmail.com>.
URL? example?

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 11:32 PM, Pedro Albuquerque <palbuquerque73@gmail.com

> here is a suggestion, I asked for this change some time ago and still
> think it's needed because it truncates some of the used words.
> The size of the search button is a bit short for several languages.
> The actual width size is 60 px. I think a size of 85 px (or whatever is
> necessary) would serve every language better without having to create
> css exceptions, localized or general.
> It would improve the look of the site, no matter what language it's
> seen. Don't everyone agree?
> This could also be added to (or included in) the thread 'Detecting
> Visitor's Locale'. Maybe some script to detect the size of the word?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Pedro.

טל