Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Kenneth Fogel <kf...@dawsoncollege.qc.ca> on 2021/07/10 19:53:09 UTC

NB and JDK 17 - OpenJDK Quality Outreach

I am running some of my sample code from my courses with NB 12.4 and JDK 17 ea 26. Initially I could not get this to work as I mentioned in a previous email. In response Ludovic wrote that he filed:

[NETBEANS-5775] [1] for that NoSuchMethodError and Jan Lahoda is working on a PR to fix it [2].

[NETBEANS-5762] [3] which may be more difficult.

Today I started testing with JDK 17 ea 28  and NB 12.4. It is not possible to install NetBeans with JDK 17 ea 28 but once installed with JDK 16 I configured NB to run with JDK 17. So far my very basic JavaFX application compiles, runs unit tests, and executes with JDK 17 ea 28 and javafx 17-ea+14..

I will go thru more of my sample code on 12.4 and the beta for 12.5 (need the url for the beta).

If you have any experience with JDK 17 could you please pass on any issues you uncovered. File the appropriate report for NB or for the OpenJDK and let me know.

Here is a message I received for the OpenJDK Quality Outreach:. Looks like we need to start looking at Java 18, maybe?

Hi Ken,

Per the JDK 17 schedule , we are in Rampdown Phase One.

Please advise if you find any issues while testing the latest Early Access builds.

The overall feature set is frozen. No further JEPs will be targeted to this release.

  *   Features integrated in JDK 17:

     *   JEP 306: Restore Always-Strict Floating-Point Semantics<https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/306>
     *   JEP 356: Enhanced Pseudo-Random Number Generators<https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/356>
     *   JEP 382: New macOS Rendering Pipeline<https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/382>
     *   JEP 391: macOS/AArch64 Port<https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/391>
     *   JEP 398: Deprecate the Applet API for Removal<https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/398>
     *   JEP 403: Strongly Encapsulate JDK Internals<https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/403>
     *   JEP 406: Pattern Matching for switch (Preview)<https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/406>
     *   JEP 407: Remove RMI Activation<https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/407>
     *   JEP 409: Sealed Classes<https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/409>
     *   JEP 410: Remove the Experimental AOT and JIT Compiler<https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/410>
     *   JEP 411: Deprecate the Security Manager for Removal<https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/411>
     *   JEP 412: Foreign Function & Memory API (Incubator)<https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/412>
     *   JEP 414: Vector API (Second Incubator)<https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/414>
     *   JEP 415: Context-Specific Deserialization Filters<https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/415>

OpenJDK 17 Early Access build 28 is available at https://jdk.java.net/17

  *   These early-access , open-source builds are provided under the
     *   GNU General Public License, version 2, with the Classpath Exception<https://openjdk.java.net/legal/gplv2+ce.html>
  *   Release Notes are available at https://jdk.java.net/17/release-notes
  *   Changes in build 28 that maybe of interest:
     *   JDK-8269028: [BACKOUT] JDK-8196415 Disable SHA-1 Signed JARs
     *   JDK-8268774: Residual logging output written to STDOUT, not STDERR [Reported by Apache Ant]
     *   JDK-8264843: Javac crashes with NullPointerException when finding unencoded XML in <pre> tag [Reported by Apache Lucene]

OpenJDK 18 Early Access build 3 is now available at https://jdk.java.net/18

  *   These early-access , open-source builds are provided under the
     *   GNU General Public License, version 2, with the Classpath Exception<https://openjdk.java.net/legal/gplv2+ce.html>
  *   Changes in recent builds that maybe of interest:
     *   JDK-8266791: Annotation property which is compiled as an array property but changed to a single element throws NPE [Reported by Byte Buddy]
  *   Coming in a future JDK 18 build
     *   Removal of Biased Locking in JDK 18  - Details<https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/pull/4522>
Other Topics of Interest:

  *   State of Loom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG24inClY2M
  *   State of Panama: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8k9QGvPxC0
  *   What's a JEP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1VrmvyIEpM

Quality Report for June 2021 was published here [1].

  *   Thanks to everyone who contributed by creating features or enhancements, logging bugs, or downloading and testing the early-access builds.

Rgds,Rory

[1] https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/quality/Quality+Outreach+Report+June+2021

--

Rgds, Rory O'Donnell

Quality Engineering Manager

Oracle EMEA, Dublin, Ireland

Re: NB and JDK 17 - OpenJDK Quality Outreach

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
12.5 is targeted for JDK 17.

12.4 has not / cannot be applicable to JDK 17, to the extent that that
combination can work, that is purely a coincidence.

Can you consider not trying the 12.4/JDK 17 combination at all anymore
(that only creates confusion) and focus only on 12.5 instead?

Gj