Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by Richard Heintze <si...@yahoo.com> on 2001/08/02 19:42:00 UTC

Re: Utility for SOAP debugging

Bill,
 Thanks for sharing that. The first edition of your
book on the Java Certification Exam was my favorite
and helped me pass the exam last October. Apparently I
was part of second wave of Java programmers all trying
to alleviate the shortage at once. As soon as I
announced that I had passed my clients (who had been
telling me they needed me certified for several years)
now said they did not need me for Java. Oh well.

 I've been a consultant since 1991 and I am trying to
strategize: should I write a book? should I speak at
more conferences? should I pay $10K for glossy high
quality brochure? Should I put a bunch of fancy demos
on my web site -- would potential clients be
impressed?

 Over 90% of my income has been from teaching 5 day
classes on C++, MFC, COM/DCOM, OOAD, Win32 API
programming, network programming, web programming,
Java, Visual Basic etc...
  I would really like some more consulting projects
but I'm not sure how to get them.
  It seems that book authors get a few more requests
for teaching and consulting assignments but for the
most part cannot charge much more (exceptions seem to
be Microsoft guys like David Platte and Don Box. Those
guys charge about $3K-$4K per day.) Writing a book
seems like a lot of work. Currently, I have no
shortage of teaching engagements for this fall and I
think I'm charging a lot of money for these classes. I
make about $1K-$2K per day. I'm just tired of
teaching. Too much of it is not good for the resume.

  What has been your experience? Do you get more jobs
because of your books? Can you charge more? Do you
actively pursue work? Are customer's impressed with
labor intensive java demo's on your web site?

My thought has been this: who cares if you can impress
the techies -- they are not the ones with the money.
How do I get the attention of middle management which
can hire me?

  Thanks,

       Siegfried

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/