Posted to dev@airavata.apache.org by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org> on 2017/11/17 21:43:00 UTC

[DISCUSS] SEAGrid Rich Client to Airavata

Hi All,

In discussing with some of Airavata users at Supercomputing conference, there seems to be an increasing interest in desktop application interrogations with Airavata. Any opinions on bringing seagrid rich client to Airavata (https://github.com/SciGaP/seagrid-rich-client <https://github.com/SciGaP/seagrid-rich-client>), generalize it and make the third party interfaces into a plugin model?

Thoughts?

Suresh

Re: [DISCUSS] SEAGrid Rich Client to Airavata

Posted by Supun Nakandala <su...@gmail.com>.
It should be easy to integrate it to a new gateway. Just need to change the
config file and change the branding.

However since it was not initially developed with this intention, all the
components are somewhat. But it should be easy to separate out the Airavata
core features and come up with a configuration based approach to gateway
specific tools. Even for the create experiment we can make it configurable
such that a gateway can configure own custom ui.

For inter module communication I have used a simple event bus mechanism
using Google guava libarary. For example, when Nanocad exports an
experiment it creates an experiment event which is then captured by the
create experiment UI. But the entire code is not event based (i.e there are
some tight coupling between components). I think we can standardize this
eventing mechanism and leverage it to incorporate more pluggable modules.

The desktop client makes hard assumptions on the authentication mechanism
and file storage(seagrid sftp server). We may need to rethink how we want
to proceed with these.

Posted by Ian Yinzhi Wang <wa...@indiana.edu>.

Posted by "Pierce, Marlon" <ma...@iu.edu>.

From: Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>
Date: Friday, November 17, 2017 at 4:43 PM
To: Airavata Dev <de...@airavata.apache.org>
Subject: [DISCUSS] SEAGrid Rich Client to Airavata

Hi All,

In discussing with some of Airavata users at Supercomputing conference, there seems to be an increasing interest in desktop application interrogations with Airavata. Any opinions on bringing seagrid rich client to Airavata (https://github.com/SciGaP/seagrid-rich-client), generalize it and make the third party interfaces into a plugin model?

Thoughts?

Suresh