Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Holden Karau <ho...@pigscanfly.ca> on 2019/09/02 02:04:12 UTC

Re: [DISCUSSION]JDK11 for Apache 2.x?

So I'm not a lawyer, but looking at the JDK8 License FAQ (
https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/overview/oracle-jdk-faqs.html )
makes me feel like we should support folks who are on the 2.x branch and
want to migrate away from JDK8. Although the Redhat post about OpenJDK8 is
reassuring (
https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2019/05/22/openjdk-8-and-11-still-in-safe-hands/
 ).

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 2:22 PM Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Spark 3 will not require Java 11; it will work with Java 8 too. I
> think the question is whether someone who _wants_ Java 11 should have
> a 2.x release instead of 3.0.
>
> In practice... how much are people moving off Java 8 right now? It's
> still my default, because most but not all things work with 11. (Here,
> I'm using 11 as shorthand for 9+; it's the LTS release in the 9 to 11
> series).
> I get that the issue is support, but it seems that Oracle is still
> providing public updates through Dec 2020. I think it's that
> commercial support is now for-pay? And OpenJDK 8 still gets updates?
> that I'm unclear on.
>
> Not that those aren't legitimate concerns, I'm just trying to figure
> out how much need vs want there is and why out there.
>

> On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 4:15 PM Jean Georges Perrin <jg...@jgp.net> wrote:
> >
> > Not a contributor, but a user perspective…
> >
> > As Spark 3.x will be an evolution, I am not completely shocked that it
> would imply a Java 11 requirement as well. Would be great to have both Java
> 8 and Java 11, but one needs to be able to say goodbye. Java 8 is great,
> still using it actively in production, but we know its time is limited, so,
> by the time we evolve to Spark 3, we could combine it with Java 11.
> >
> > On the other hand, not everybody may think this way and it may slow down
> the adoption of Spark 3…
> >
> > However, I concur with Sean, I don’t think another 2.x is needed for
> Java 11.
> >
> > > On Aug 27, 2019, at 3:09 PM, Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I think one of the key problems here are the required dependency
> > > upgrades. It would mean many minor breaking changes and a few bigger
> > > ones, notably around Hive, and forces a scala 2.12-only update. I
> > > think my question is whether that even makes sense as a minor release?
> > > it wouldn't be backwards compatible with 2.4 enough to call it a
> > > low-risk update. It would be a smaller step than moving all the way to
> > > 3.0, sure. I am not super against it, but we have to keep in mind how
> > > much work it would then be to maintain two LTS 2.x releases, 2.4 and
> > > the sort-of-compatible 2.5, while proceeding with 3.x.

> a community.

> companies are moving to Java 11.
> there are many API
> asking users to move to

> JDK11?

> of the dependencies changes

> Apple, Inc

Books (Learning Spark, High Performance Spark, etc.):
https://amzn.to/2MaRAG9  <https://amzn.to/2MaRAG9>
YouTube Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/user/holdenkarau

Re: [DISCUSSION]JDK11 for Apache 2.x?

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.
That's just the Oracle 'commercial' JDK though. OpenJDK is still OSS
and 8 is updated there too. Oracle JDK is still free too, just not for
commercial use and commercial support for 8 (IIUC). I think that's the
'audience' here, and I don't know how large or small that is.

That said a key first question is simply, how much breaking change is
necessary to get 2.x to work on JDK 11? If it's large I think that
might resolve the question right there. SPARK-24417 has most but not
necessarily all necessary changes under it.

Heck it could be maintained as a separate community project too, if
there is both interest from some parties to make it happen, but not
enough to commit to maintain all the backports and updated from 3.x.