Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Anthony Scopatz <sc...@gmail.com> on 2019/08/09 20:33:33 UTC

ANN: conda-press

Hi All,

I am writing to announce the first release of conda-press.
https://github.com/regro/conda-press

This is a project which let's you convert conda-packages to wheels. The
plan is to integrate this into conda-forge & PyPI. Wes said today
<https://twitter.com/wesmckinn/status/1159903659444068353> that Arrow is
out of the wheel building game (totally reasonable), but wanted to present
this as an option for folks who are interested in the packaging problem.

Be Well
Anthony

Re: ANN: conda-press

Posted by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com>.
hi Anthony,

Yes, to back up what Micah is saying, Arrow is developed by a
community of volunteers. Some of the volunteers are myself and my
colleagues. My statements were only that my colleagues and I are
unwilling to continue volunteering our time as we have been (see more
at https://ursalabs.org/blog/2019-06-07-monthly-report/). Empirically,
supporting wheels has prevented us from doing other important work in
the project.

I'm a bit skeptical about the conda-press solution. Our users were
upset when the Linux wheels went from ~15MB to ~50MB (which was
partially caused by some shared libs getting duplicated because
setuptools doesn't understand symlinks). Isn't a wheel produced by
conda-press for a package with a ton of dependencies going to be
pretty big?

Thanks

Re: ANN: conda-press

Posted by Micah Kornfield <em...@gmail.com>.