Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Steve Ovens <st...@xmarc.com.au> on 2003/06/20 06:57:31 UTC

Newbie - changing reports included in binary distribution

Hi,

I'm Maven-ising my first project and have a hopefully simple question
concerning building distributions.

When I do a "maven dist:build" everything works fine and it successfully
produces a target/distributions/proj-1.1.0.zip file.

The problem I have is that the zip file contains not only the proj-1.1.0.jar
file and useful stuff like Javadocs - it also includes all of the other
Maven-generated reports, such as metrics, checkstyle, change-logs. These are
v. useful - and I want to generate them to publish to our internal team - I
just don't really want them included in the binary distribution which is
what would go to our customers.

After reading through the Maven docco, I was thinking of putting a <pregoal>
for the "dist:build-bin" goal, to de-register the reports I don't want - but
I'm guessing (without looking at the source code) that this won't do me any
good - because "dist:build-bin" doesn't actually create the reports - it
just copies them. So, de-registering reports probably won't make a jot of
difference to the output.

It seems I need some way to trigger a re-generation of a different (smaller)
set of reports before the dist:build-bin goal is executed, but I'm not sure
how to go about this, or even if I'm on the right track - maybe there is an
easier way...

Anyone got any ideas/tips they can share???

Thanks in advance,

Steve Ovens
Java Developer
Xmarc Asia-Pacific P/L

Re: Newbie - changing reports included in binary distribution

Posted by Ben Walding <be...@walding.com>.
Ben Walding wrote:

> I think your best bet it to postGoal dist:prepare-bin-filesystem and
> remove the parts of the binary release you don't want.

Of course, this will still leave items in your left hand navigation bar
which will be undesirable.

There's no simple way of doing this.  You could deregister the reports,
hack the output location and regen the reports, but that is going to be
20 odd lines of jelly.   And 20 lines of jelly is not something you want
to be doing on Friday afternoon.  In fact it's not something I ever want
to be doing :)

Posted by Ben Walding <be...@walding.com>.

Posted by Steve Ovens <st...@xmarc.com.au>.
Thanks for the reply Ben - I had thought of deleting the unwanted reports,
but as you pointed out, it leaves you with a nav-bar that doesn't match up
to the distribution contents - and I don't know anything about xdoclet
(yet - although I suspect I might have to learn!), so I wouldn't know where
to start hacking that.

Anyway, it appears to be simply an "order of operation" problem. If I do a
"maven clean" and then immediately follow that with a "maven dist:build", my
distribution does not include the other docs - just API docs.

So now I do a "clean" then "dist:build" and THEN "site:generate" and get
everything I want.

Thanks again.