Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by A Sunley <al...@gmail.com> on 2007/09/02 17:13:18 UTC

(Rampart) Not seeing encrypted message in SOAPMonitor

Hi folks,

I'm something of a rookie when it comes to implementing security in web
services. I'm working with policy example #3 to try and get an idea for how
security policy works. Direct link here:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/webservices/rampart/trunk/java/modules/rampart-samples/policy/sample03/

I've changed the invoked web service method but the policy is the same, but
I'm a bit confused by something. As I understand it the soap message body in
this example should be encrypted, correct? But looking at the messages in
SOAPMonitor, I am seeing the security header but the body in plain text. Is
the policy not being applied properly?

I'm also seeing differences in the response shown in SOAPMonitor and a
printout of the OMElement response in the client (messages displayed below).
The OMElement shows the wsa, xenc and wsu namespaces while SOAPMonitor does
not.

Basically I'm a bit confused by what I am seeing in SOAPMonitor and I’m not
sure whether this is indicating that the policy is not being applied
properly or whether this is typical behaviour of SOAPMonitor itself?

Also, despite reading into WS-Policy I'm still rather unsure of it,
generally. Are there any guides to creating policy documents? Ultimately my
aim is for the requests to the service to have a UsernameToken and the SOAP
body encrypted. And the response message body to be encrypted.

SOAPMonitor Request Body:

<! -- Header omitted -- >
<soapenv:Body
xmlns:wsu="http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss/2004/01/oasis-200401-wss-wssecurity-utility-1.0.xsd"
wsu:Id="Id-21192393">
    <ns2:testFunction xmlns:ns2="http://webservice.example.com/xsd">
      <arg0 >username</arg0>
      <arg1>pas</arg1>
    </ns2:testFunction>
  </soapenv:Body>
</soapenv:Envelope>

SOAPMonitor Response Message:

  <soapenv:Body>
    <ns:testFunctionResponse xmlns:ns="http://webservice.example.com/xsd">
      <ns:return>
        <responseCode xmlns="http://schema.example.com/xsd">0</responseCode>
        <responseMessage xmlns="http://schema.example.com/xsd">Request
Fulfilled</responseMessage>
      </ns:return>
    </ns:testFunctionResponse>
  </soapenv:Body>
</soapenv:Envelope>

Printout of response message at client:

<ns:testFunctionResponse xmlns:ns="http://webservice.example.com/xsd"
xmlns:wsa="http://www.w3.org/2005/08/addressing"
xmlns:xenc="http://www.w3.org/2001/04/xmlenc#"
    <responseCode xmlns:axis2ns7="http://schema.example.com/xsd"
xmlns:axis2ns8="http://schema.example.com/xsd">Request
Fulfilled</responseMessage>
</ns:return>
</ns:exampleFunctionResponse>

Regards,
Alan.

Re: (Rampart) Not seeing encrypted message in SOAPMonitor

Posted by Jon Hanshew <jh...@visa.com>.
To determine what is SOAP Monitor behavior vs Axis behavior download TCPMon.
It is a WYSIWUG tool.

For example, SOAP Monitor gives displays unencrypted transactions for SSL
connections because it hooks into the process above the SSL level.

For the situation you describe, I would suspect an incorrect implementation
of the policy, but TCPMon will tell the true story.

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.
Can you please ask this question at
http://ws.apache.org/rampart/

On 9/2/07, A Sunley <al...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> printout of the OMElement response in the client (messages displayed
> below).
> The OMElement shows the wsa, xenc and wsu namespaces while SOAPMonitor
> does
> not.
>
> Basically I'm a bit confused by what I am seeing in SOAPMonitor and I'm
> not
> sure whether this is indicating that the policy is not being applied
> properly or whether this is typical behaviour of SOAPMonitor itself?
>
> Also, despite reading into WS-Policy I'm still rather unsure of it,
> generally. Are there any guides to creating policy documents? Ultimately
> my
> aim is for the requests to the service to have a UsernameToken and the
> SOAP
> body encrypted. And the response message body to be encrypted.

Amila Suriarachchi,
WSO2 Inc.

RE: Sending attachments to .NET Client

Posted by Raghavan <ra...@solutionnet.net>.
Thanks Arya..
Will try ur steps...

Rgds,
Raghavan.V.

RE: Unable to Pass values of type LONG from .NET client to Java webservice

Posted by Raghavan <ra...@solutionnet.net>.
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.
It was a coding problem in the .NET side. Now it's rectified.

Rgds,
Raghavan.V.

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <at...@gmail.com>.