Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> on 2019/01/22 18:09:21 UTC

Fedora19 vs CentOS7

I've been playing around with using Fedora19 instead of
CentOS7 for the 4.2.0 ("official") builds... Mostly
due to CentOS7 not really supporting 32bit and it doesn't
seem wise to use 2 sep systems for the Linux builds
or an "AltArch" build.

Fed19 fully supports 64 and 32bit and, in fact, CentOS7 is
pretty much based on Fed19... This would allow us to
provide both 32 and 64bit Linux builds based on the "same"
OS and platform.

Comments?

Re: Fedora19 vs CentOS7

Posted by Mechtilde <oo...@mechtilde.de>.
Hello,

we should plan ato build also at Ubuntu 16.04. As I know ubuntu 14.04 is
EOL this year (2019).

Am 23.01.19 um 15:18 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
> After spending some more time w/ CentOS7 32bit, I'm pretty confident that we
> can baseline it a our "primary" complimentary community build server OS.
>
> So, from what I see, the move from AOO 4.1.x to 4.2.x (and above) will
> mean that we baseline CentOS7 with Ubuntu 14.04 as secondary. This
> does not mean, of course, that people can't build it with older systems
> its just that we don't provide builds for those older systems (ie: kernel < 3.x)
>
> It looks like we can keep macOS 10.7 as min requirement so no change
> there.

Mechtilde Stehmann
## Apache OpenOffice
## Debian Developer
## PGP encryption welcome
## F0E3 7F3D C87A 4998 2899  39E7 F287 7BBA 141A AD7F

Re: Fedora19 vs CentOS7

Re: Fedora19 vs CentOS7

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 22/01/2019 20:08, Marcus wrote:
> Am 22.01.19 um 20:00 schrieb Mechtilde:
>> And wie should use the same system for buildbots and for the release
>> build server.
> To make all build servers equal and comparable is a real advantage in
> case of problems we need to reproduce.

I also think that CentOS 7 is surely better than an old Fedora release
for building. Fedora 19 is 10 releases back with respect to the current
one, and abandoned in terms of maintenance.

Since the reason for the idea is that CentOS has better 32-bit support,
I'll admit that I've never used with some continuity a 32-bit Linux
system recently, so I'm not in a position to compare 32-bit CentOS to
32-bit Fedora.

But I would also consider some refocusing for 4.2.0. Since 32-bit Linux
users are a small fraction of a small fraction I would totally be in
favor of a simplified offering on our side, like providing only one
multi-language build in archive format (no RPM, no DEB) for 32-bit
Linux. If Fedora 19 (only for this 32-bit build) makes this easier, I
wouldn't object. And I would keep using CentOS 7 64-bit for all our
64-bit Linux builds.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Fedora19 vs CentOS7

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 22.01.19 um 20:00 schrieb Mechtilde:
> Am 22.01.19 um 19:22 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
>> It's old and has been EOL for awhile. But we're just talking build server...
>> to support older systems we need to use an older system.
>
> There are some older systems which are still supported for 32 bit and 64
> bit.
>
> And wie should use the same system for buildbots and for the release
> build server.

+1
To make all build servers equal and comparable is a real advantage in
case of problems we need to reproduce. IMHO there we some in the past -
even when I cannot list them now.

My 2ct.

Marcus

Re: Fedora19 vs CentOS7

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
FWIW, I have both CentOS7 64 and 32, and Ubuntu 14.04 64 and 32 setup to build.
All my builds have been using CentOS7. We may consider switching to Ubuntu
as our "official" community build server for 4.2.x and later.

Re: Fedora19 vs CentOS7

Posted by Mechtilde <oo...@mechtilde.de>.
Hallo Jim

Am 22.01.19 um 21:18 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
> The issue is that 4.2.x requires gstreamer1, which is only available
> w/ kernel 3.x and thus CentOS7. You can't use CentOS5 nor 6.
> Neither support gstreamer1.
>
> So we want the minimal system that supports kernel 3.10 and gstreamer1...
>
> But this may be moot... my testing shows Fed19 ain't cutting it.

Already Debian 8 (oldstable = Jessie) meets the requirements.

Also Ubuntu >= 14.04

Kind regards

Re: Fedora19 vs CentOS7

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Re: Fedora19 vs CentOS7

Posted by Mechtilde <oo...@mechtilde.de>.
Hello,

Re: Fedora19 vs CentOS7

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Re: Fedora19 vs CentOS7

Posted by Mechtilde <oo...@mechtilde.de>.
Hello

Am 22.01.19 um 19:09 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
> I've been playing around with using Fedora19 instead of
> CentOS7 for the 4.2.0 ("official") builds... Mostly
> due to CentOS7 not really supporting 32bit and it doesn't
> seem wise to use 2 sep systems for the Linux builds
> or an "AltArch" build.
>
> Fed19 fully supports 64 and 32bit and, in fact, CentOS7 is
> pretty much based on Fed19... This would allow us to
> provide both 32 and 64bit Linux builds based on the "same"
> OS and platform.
>
> Comments?

How long is Fed19 supported?

Kind regards