Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Francois Beausoleil <fb...@users.sourceforge.net> on 2003/09/11 14:13:46 UTC

Timezone information in Subversion repository

Hello everyone !

I just ran a log on Subversion's repository.  I saw the -0400 timezone
qualifier on the time of the last commit.  I was wondering where does
Subversion pick up that information ?  Does Subversion store time in UTC
and a TZ offset, or does it store the time already offset ?

If Subversion stores the local time, what happens when a server changes
timezone ?  Will the server even know about it ?

Thanks !
François
Developer of Java Gui Builder
http://jgb.sourceforge.net/

Re: Timezone information in Subversion repository

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
"Francois Beausoleil" <fb...@users.sourceforge.net> writes:

> Does Subversion store time in UTC and a TZ offset, or does it store
> the time already offset ?

Yes, the server sets the svn:date property on the revision, in UTC,
based on the server's own clock.

The client converts UTC to localtime when printing the logs.

> If Subversion stores the local time, what happens when a server changes
> timezone ?  Will the server even know about it ?

If the server changes timezone, nothing happens.  It continues to
store revision dates in UTC.

But clock skew is still a problem.  See issue 752.