Posted to dev@bookkeeper.apache.org by Venkateswara Rao Jujjuri <ju...@gmail.com> on 2019/02/18 20:22:27 UTC

How to handle stale metadata?

Recently we ran into a situation where the LedgerMetadataListener never
returned/detected metadata change. Due to this reader had stale metadata
and tried to read from bookies that no longer have that ledger, hence
NoSuchLedgerExistsException was returned to the caller.

1. I wonder if NoSuchLedgerExistsException is the right error here?

   - Client knows that the ledger exists in the metadata. It has valid
   handle. So ledger *Exists*.
   -  In this case it is stale metadata so a restart of client took care of
   the situation. But what if the ledger is in ZK, but missing from all
   bookies? This can be a durability or availability issue based on the
   bookies in the metadata are part of the cluster or not.
   - I think we need to have more sophisticated error handling here.
   Comments?

2. Having too many watches puts memory pressure on the client.

   - How about having an option to re-read the metadata on demand w/o watch?
      - Schedule a task to reread metadata on the first bookie failure with
      NoSuchEntry/NoSuchLedger.
      - If all three bookies fail, wait for the outstanding metadata read
      to return before failing to user.
      - If the metadata is read, and is different from the local copy,
      reattempt the read.
      - If metadata is not different, then fail with "some new error"
      DataLossException or something?
   - This can cause latency if the metadata is changing a lot, but may be
   better than constant watches? It could be a configuration option.
   - We could even think of having both enabled if the reader is super
   conservative.

Thoughts?
JV

--
Jvrao
---

Re: How to handle stale metadata?

Posted by Venkateswara Rao Jujjuri <ju...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 5:49 PM Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 4:22 AM Venkateswara Rao Jujjuri <
> jujjuri@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Recently we ran into a situation where the LedgerMetadataListener never
> > returned/detected metadata change. Due to this reader had stale metadata
> > and tried to read from bookies that no longer have that ledger, hence
> > NoSuchLedgerExistsException was returned to the caller.
> >

> Do the bookies have entries? Or does it change ensemble to cause an empty
> fragment?

Replication worker migrated ledgers on to other bookies. But the client is
pointing to old set of bookies.

Those bookies respond NoSuchLedgerExistsException when talking to the empty
> fragment.
> Is that the case? I am not sure how NoSuchLedgerExistsException can be
> propagated to the client.

Since client is contacting old bookies, which doesn't have the ledger
anymore, it is returning NoSuchLedger.
and all 3 bookies returned the same error, hence client returned that to
user.

--
Jvrao
---

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
Il giorno mar 19 feb 2019, 02:49 Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com> ha scritto:

> On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 4:22 AM Venkateswara Rao Jujjuri <
> jujjuri@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Recently we ran into a situation where the LedgerMetadataListener never
> > returned/detected metadata change. Due to this reader had stale metadata
> > and tried to read from bookies that no longer have that ledger, hence
> > NoSuchLedgerExistsException was returned to the caller.
> >

> Do the bookies have entries? Or does it change ensemble to cause an empty
> fragment?
> Those bookies respond NoSuchLedgerExistsException when talking to the empty
> fragment.
> Is that the case? I am not sure how NoSuchLedgerExistsException can be
> propagated to the client.
>
> Can you describe the sequence on how this happened?
>

> > 1. I wonder if NoSuchLedgerExistsException is the right error here?
>

> >    - Client knows that the ledger exists in the metadata. It has valid
> >    handle. So ledger *Exists*.
> >    -  In this case it is stale metadata so a restart of client took care
> of
> >    the situation. But what if the ledger is in ZK, but missing from all
> >    bookies? This can be a durability or availability issue based on the
> >    bookies in the metadata are part of the cluster or not.
> >    - I think we need to have more sophisticated error handling here.
> >    Comments?
> >

> > 2. Having too many watches puts memory pressure on the client.

I think Zookeeper improvement will help a lot, but unfortunately that patch
never landed to zookeeper codebase
It is about having a single persistent ans recursive watch which tracks all
the events in am hierarchy of znodes

https://github.com/apache/zookeeper/pull/136

Enrico

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.