Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Malte Timmermann <ma...@gmx.com> on 2015/07/06 16:49:36 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Qt as a replacement for VCL

This approach would mean that you mostly don't use Qt at all.

VCL uses SAL to get a top level window from the os, and then renders all
widgets on it's own. Using Qt simply as yet an other SAL implementation
would mean that you still only get the top level window (via Qt then),
but widget rendering wouldn't change.

Really using Qt would probably be a quite huge effort.

Malte.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 7:49 AM, Malte Timmermann <ma...@gmx.com>
wrote:

> This approach would mean that you mostly don't use Qt at all.
>
> VCL uses SAL to get a top level window from the os, and then renders all
> widgets on it's own. Using Qt simply as yet an other SAL implementation
> would mean that you still only get the top level window (via Qt then), but
> widget rendering wouldn't change.
>
> Really using Qt would probably be a quite huge effort.
>
> Malte.

Yes, to redo using Qt well basically "natively"  would be a huge effort,
and this is what I was thinking when I suggested this. I think we already
basically have a SAL (VCL)-Qt bridge anyway if you configure with using
KDE. (Well this might be a bridge based on KDE3 rather than 4+). We don't
use this now but might have before.

> On 18.01.2015 19:41, Fernando Cassia wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jan 18, 2015 at 12:43 PM, Yuri Dario <mc...@mclink.it> wrote:
>>
>>  having written or updated most of the OS/2 code in VCL project, I have
>>> some experience with it.
>>>
>>> I'm not enterint the debate QT-yes/QT-no, I will only offer a
>>> developer point of view.
>>>
>>> We can simply use QT like an existing operanting system API, like OS/2
>>> PM or windows GDI/windowing. As we create a window using the os native
>>> api, we can also create a window using QT API. Same for drawing,
>>> printing, etc...
>>>

>> So, what you suggest is actually a VCL-to-QT bridge.
>>
>> If that is actually doable, technically speaking, that sounds like a good
>> FOSS project to start on its own.
>> Don´t restrict it to the realm of AOO, make it a separate endeavour then
>> it
>> can be used in AOO.
>>
>> Just saying... don´t restrict the mindshare and reach of the project to
>> AOO, make it as wide and far-reaching as possible.
>>
>> FC

MzK

"We can all sleep easy at night knowing that
 somewhere at any given time,
 the Foo Fighters are out there fighting Foo."
                                 -- David Letterman