Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Matthew Langham <ml...@s-und-n.de> on 2002/01/21 12:08:04 UTC

Donating Portal and Authentication Components to the Cocoon project

As some of you already know, our company has built a complete middleware
solution around Cocoon. This product, named "sunShine", is successfully
being used to build a variety of different solutions for various customers
here in Germany. sunShine applications range from Web portals to XML based
workflow systems.

We think Cocoon is an ideal solution for building XML applications and are
proud to be a part of this great community. In the past we have donated
smaller components, Carsten's development efforts and other bits and pieces
to the Cocoon project. We are also doing our best to increase visibility for
Cocoon by writing articles for magazines and speaking at conferences about
Cocoon.

Although the current primary use of Cocoon is as a Web publishing framework
we see great potential for integrated components that provide such things as
authentication and portal capabilities. To honor this we are willing to
return parts of sunShine back to the Cocoon project. These parts will
include Cocoon components for authentication, session management and
building portals. All of these components adhere to the Cocoon architecture
and are "tried and trusted".

Here is a brief description:

The authorization components allow the integration of given data-sources
(e.g. databases that may already contain user information) and provide a
means of protecting pipelines so that only authorized users can access the
defined resources.

The portal engine is totally SAX-based and is integrated into the sitemap.
Portals can be described in an XML format. Content can be defined for the
portal using regular Cocoon pipelines. Based on the authorization
components, a portal generator "gets" the portal description for a user and
streams the complete portal content into the pipeline. A following
stylesheet transformation transforms this into HTML.

We have discussed this move with several people from the Cocoon community
and have received tremendous feedback. Therefore Carsten is currently
working to bring the components in line with an upcoming Cocoon release and
we will be donating them (along with documentation, samples etc.) in the
near future. Probably around the middle of February.

In the meantime please contact us if you would like any further information.

Best regards

Matthew Langham / Carsten Ziegeler

RE: Donating Portal and Authentication Components to the Cocoon project

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Bernhard Huber wrote:

> hi,
> i have some question about the portal..., btw it's great donating
> your work!
>
> >Although the current primary use of Cocoon is as a Web
> publishing framework
> >we see great potential for integrated components that provide
> such things as
> >authentication and portal capabilities. To honor this we are willing to
> >return parts of sunShine back to the Cocoon project. These parts will
> >include Cocoon components for authentication, session management and
> >building portals. All of these components adhere to the Cocoon
> architecture
> >and are "tried and trusted".
> >
> What kind of authentification schemas are supported?

Theoretically, all schemas are supported. The whole authentication
is configured in the sitemap. You can protect pipelines with a so
called handler. You can have different handlers in the sitemap,
so you can use different authentification schemes in one sitemap.

A handler in turn points to the real authentification mechanism.
Here you can hook in either a pipeline or an own java class. In the
case of a pipeline, you can use for example SQL statements (SQL transformer
or esql) to fetch the authorization data or you can read them from
an XML file or use LDAP or or or.

> Can I handle form-based authentification as described in the servlet-spec?

The components do not directly support that, but I think with the hooks
explained above that should be possible.

> >The authorization components allow the integration of given data-sources
> >(e.g. databases that may already contain user information) and provide a
> >means of protecting pipelines so that only authorized users can
> access the
> >defined resources.
> >
> how, and where do i define the authorization?
> How can I map from authentification, to authorization?

Everything is done in the sitemap. You can use actions, to protect
pipelines. And again pipelines are used to fetch the authentification
data.

> >The portal engine is totally SAX-based and is integrated into
> the sitemap.
> >Portals can be described in an XML format. Content can be defined for the
> >portal using regular Cocoon pipelines. Based on the authorization
> >components, a portal generator "gets" the portal description for
> a user and
> >streams the complete portal content into the pipeline. A following
> >stylesheet transformation transforms this into HTML.
> >
> Is there some caching for portal parts which are the same for all users?

The portal is currently build up from several parts: there is the global
profile, a profile for each role/group and a profile for each user. If some
users belong to the same role/group they get at first the same role/group
profile until they change it.

> Can a user change the portal definition, he/she owns?#

Yes, and it is also configurable which parts of the profile the user can
change. For example you can define that a user can only change the content
he wants to see. Or he can also change let's say the background color etc.

HTH
Carsten

Posted by Bernhard Huber <be...@a1.net>.
hi,

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@nc.rr.com>.
On Mon, 2002-01-21 at 06:08, Matthew Langham wrote:
> As some of you already know, our company has built a complete middleware
> solution around Cocoon. This product, named "sunShine", is successfully
> being used to build a variety of different solutions for various customers
> here in Germany. sunShine applications range from Web portals to XML based
> workflow systems.
>
> We think Cocoon is an ideal solution for building XML applications and are
> proud to be a part of this great community. In the past we have donated
> smaller components, Carsten's development efforts and other bits and pieces
> to the Cocoon project. We are also doing our best to increase visibility for
> Cocoon by writing articles for magazines and speaking at conferences about
> Cocoon.
>
> Although the current primary use of Cocoon is as a Web publishing framework

I think the devil of this is in the details of what Cocoon 2
expands/allows as the meaning of "web publishing".

> we see great potential for integrated components that provide such things as
> authentication and portal capabilities. To honor this we are willing to
> return parts of sunShine back to the Cocoon project. These parts will
> include Cocoon components for authentication, session management and
> building portals. All of these components adhere to the Cocoon architecture
> and are "tried and trusted".
>
> Here is a brief description:
>
> The authorization components allow the integration of given data-sources
> (e.g. databases that may already contain user information) and provide a
> means of protecting pipelines so that only authorized users can access the
> defined resources.
>
> The portal engine is totally SAX-based and is integrated into the sitemap.
> Portals can be described in an XML format. Content can be defined for the
> portal using regular Cocoon pipelines. Based on the authorization
> components, a portal generator "gets" the portal description for a user and
> streams the complete portal content into the pipeline. A following
> stylesheet transformation transforms this into HTML.
>

> We have discussed this move with several people from the Cocoon community
> and have received tremendous feedback. Therefore Carsten is currently
> working to bring the components in line with an upcoming Cocoon release and
> we will be donating them (along with documentation, samples etc.) in the
> near future. Probably around the middle of February.
>
> In the meantime please contact us if you would like any further information.
>
> Best regards
>
> Matthew Langham / Carsten Ziegeler
>
> --
> Open Source Group               sunShine - Lighting up e:Business

www.superlinksoftware.com
			- fix java generics!

vote.
-Ambassador Kosh

RE: Donating Portal and Authentication Components to the Cocoon project

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> I played with it using the guest account. I had to recall the german I
> learned at school and didn't practice for more that 10 years, but I
> globally understood what was said :)
>
> It looks nice and I like a lot the customization page. Do you have any
> comparison with JetSpeed ?

Matthew is currently writing an answer to another mail in this thread...
so watch out for it!

> >We realize that people are probably itching to get their hands on the
> >components and play with them - and Carsten is doing his best to get them
> >ready as quickly as possible - but we also have paid work we
> need to do as
> >well :-)) In the meantime we will be happy to provide as much background
> >information as possible - so keep the questions coming :-).
> >
> Dont tell peope to ask questions, because they will ;) Seriously, keep
> up working : we can delay questions until we get our hands on it !

Great! :)

Carsten

Re: Donating Portal and Authentication Components to the Cocoon project

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.
Matthew Langham wrote:

>Hi Sylvain,
>
>Thanks a lot for this donation, which will be a great step forward for
>promoting Cocoon. Is this what can be seen at http://sunshine.sundn.de/ ?
><<
>Yep. This is an example portal we built to showcase some of what we are
>doing for customers. I can provide you (or anyone interested) with a login
>if you contact me off-list (just so our little test machine doesn't blow up
>when you all try to logon :-)). Please note that _this_ portal is in
>German - which is done through use of stylesheets. So the actual components
>are of course language independent. Basically, once you have been
>authenticated (Carsten posted something about that earlier today) your
>portal profile is built up, the content fetched and then the XML data
>formatted into the portal look and feel. As a user you can then change
>certain properties - as defined by the portal administrator (who basically
>defines this by way of an XML portal definition).

I played with it using the guest account. I had to recall the german I
learned at school and didn't practice for more that 10 years, but I
globally understood what was said :)

It looks nice and I like a lot the customization page. Do you have any
comparison with JetSpeed ?

>We realize that people are probably itching to get their hands on the
>components and play with them - and Carsten is doing his best to get them
>ready as quickly as possible - but we also have paid work we need to do as
>well :-)) In the meantime we will be happy to provide as much background
>information as possible - so keep the questions coming :-).

Dont tell peope to ask questions, because they will ;) Seriously, keep
up working : we can delay questions until we get our hands on it !

Thanks,
Sylvain

--
Sylvain Wallez

AW: Donating Portal and Authentication Components to the Cocoon project

Posted by Matthew Langham <ml...@s-und-n.de>.
Hi Sylvain,

[...]

Matthew

Tel:+49-5251-1581-30  mlangham@s-und-n.de - http://www.s-und-n.de

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.

Re: How to add Filters in C2?

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ba...@nicolaken.com>.
Posted by Niket Anand <ni...@npi.stpn.soft.net>.
Hi All,
How can we add filters (that is provided by Servlet2.3) in cocoon-2.0?
I want to do pre processor and post processor of any request handled by
cocoon2 servlet. So how can I use filters for it?
Pls reply soon.
Thanks,
Niket

Re: AW: Donating Portal and Authentication Components to the Cocoon project

Posted by Joseph Rajkumar <ra...@telocity.com>.
Hi
	We are starting on a new project using
Apache+Tomcat+Cocoon+Postgres and would like to either
take a sneak preview of what you are donating or get
more details and a time frame of when this will be
available so we could either incorporate this into
our project or move on without it.

Thanks
Joseph Rajkumar

At 11:08 21/01/02, Matthew Langham wrote:
>As some of you already know, our company has built a complete middleware
>solution around Cocoon. This product, named "sunShine", is successfully
>being used to build a variety of different solutions for various customers
>here in Germany. sunShine applications range from Web portals to XML based
>workflow systems.

I would like to see how this compares to the functionality of Jetspeed
which is Apache's alternative portal solution.

Alex

Re: Donating Portal and Authentication Components to the Cocoon project

Posted by Alex McLintock <al...@arcfan.demon.co.uk>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
Matthew, Carsten,

Thanks a ton for considering a donation. Here's my +1000 for accepting this donation.

-- dims

--- Matthew Langham <ml...@s-und-n.de> wrote:
> As some of you already know, our company has built a complete middleware
> solution around Cocoon. This product, named "sunShine", is successfully
> being used to build a variety of different solutions for various customers
> here in Germany. sunShine applications range from Web portals to XML based
> workflow systems.
>
> We think Cocoon is an ideal solution for building XML applications and are
> proud to be a part of this great community. In the past we have donated
> smaller components, Carsten's development efforts and other bits and pieces
> to the Cocoon project. We are also doing our best to increase visibility for
> Cocoon by writing articles for magazines and speaking at conferences about
> Cocoon.
>
> Although the current primary use of Cocoon is as a Web publishing framework
> we see great potential for integrated components that provide such things as
> authentication and portal capabilities. To honor this we are willing to
> return parts of sunShine back to the Cocoon project. These parts will
> include Cocoon components for authentication, session management and
> building portals. All of these components adhere to the Cocoon architecture
> and are "tried and trusted".
>
> Here is a brief description:
>
> The authorization components allow the integration of given data-sources
> (e.g. databases that may already contain user information) and provide a
> means of protecting pipelines so that only authorized users can access the
> defined resources.
>
> The portal engine is totally SAX-based and is integrated into the sitemap.
> Portals can be described in an XML format. Content can be defined for the
> portal using regular Cocoon pipelines. Based on the authorization
> components, a portal generator "gets" the portal description for a user and
> streams the complete portal content into the pipeline. A following
> stylesheet transformation transforms this into HTML.
>

> We have discussed this move with several people from the Cocoon community
> and have received tremendous feedback. Therefore Carsten is currently
> working to bring the components in line with an upcoming Cocoon release and
> we will be donating them (along with documentation, samples etc.) in the
> near future. Probably around the middle of February.
>
> In the meantime please contact us if you would like any further information.
>
> Best regards
>
> Matthew Langham / Carsten Ziegeler
>
> --
> Open Source Group               sunShine - Lighting up e:Business

=====

Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/

Re: Donating Portal and Authentication Components to the Cocoon project

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
Matthew, Carsten,