Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jeff Ramin <ra...@berbee.com> on 2001/11/13 20:20:53 UTC

how to deploy default context

I'm trying to use Apache to serve the default Tomcat
Context, and can't figure out how to make it work.

I've compiled mod_webapp, and successfully configured
Apache to talk to Tomcat via config statements like
this:

   WebAppConnection warpConnection warp puffy:8008
   WebAppDeploy examples warpConnection /examples/

These statements let me get at the examples webapp that
comes with Tomcat.

I want to replace the default context w/ my own application,
as all the links are set up as the default (ie.  I need to
be able to access it via localhost/index.jsp and not
localhost/<webapp name>/index.jsp).

>From reading the docs, my only guess at the correct
Apache directive would be this:

   WebAppDeploy "" warpConnection /

But apachectl configtest says that's not valid.

Suggestions?  This is Apache 1.3.7 and Tomcat 4.0.1
on Redhat 6.2.

Thanks.

Re: how to deploy default context

Posted by Kevin Barnes <kb...@iamx.com>.
If you deploy your app in the root context and use mod_webapp aren't you
effectively going to be sending every request to Tomcat? f that's the
case you aren't going to be able to take advantage of Apache's ability to
serve static content. I recently had the same issue and ended up using
mod_jk instead of mod_webapp because it allows you to specify url
patterns to send to Tomcat and have Apache handle the static stuff (like
images).
Hope that helps
-kb