Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com> on 2001/11/07 11:29:52 UTC

Propagation of LogEnabled

Berin,

now that Loggable is deprecated, how do you intend for LogEnabled to take
its place? I am in particular thinking about the ExcaliburComponentManager.
It is LogKitManageable, even...

/LS

Re: Propagation of LogEnabled

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Posted by giacomo <gi...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, giacomo wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, Leo Sutic wrote:

Sorry, this mail was sent unintentionally. There is not way to do it
because you'll need to rewrite all the factories for the underlying
Manager to keep track of different implementation of the concrete
logger.

Giacomo

RE: Propagation of LogEnabled

Posted by giacomo <gi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>.

Berin,

would it be possible to have

interface LogManageable {
}

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Leo Sutic wrote:

> Berin,
>
> now that Loggable is deprecated, how do you intend for LogEnabled to take
> its place? I am in particular thinking about the ExcaliburComponentManager.
> It is LogKitManageable, even...

All NEW components/blocks/etc. should use the LogEnabled interface and the
AbstractLogEnabled base class.

Due to our goal of being backwards compatible, we cannot go back and change
all the released Components with the new interface.  This is especially true
of the ExcaliburComponentManager.  It would not be able to give the proper
logger to Loggable classes because the new Logger classes are opaque.

As to LogKitManageable, we only commit to providing cool tools for the
Avalon suite--Having the ExcaliburComponentManager simply wrap the LogKit
Logger with the Avalon Logger is a perfectly good solution.