Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Dave <wb...@comcast.net> on 2005/06/29 02:18:41 UTC

shut off internal logger output

I tried

<logger name ="org.apache.log4j/>
    <level value ="off"/>
<logger/>

I'm using 1.3.0alpha6 in WSAD

This gets rid of the statements below generated internally starting with
DEBUG
I need to get rid of the log4j:INFO stuff

is there any way?

** configurationOptionStr=null
** End of LogManager static initializer
log4j:INFO Creating new logger [com.raytheon.nmt.app.init.StartOis] in
repository [default].
log4j:INFO Creating new logger [com.raytheon.nmt.ui.toplevel.FBNStyleGuide]
in repository [default].
log4j:INFO Creating new logger [com.raytheon.nmt.app.init.SplashScreen] in
repository [default].
log4j:INFO Creating new logger [org.apache.log4j.joran.spi.JoranDocument] in
repository [default].
log4j:INFO Returning existing logger
[org.apache.log4j.joran.spi.JoranDocument] in repository [default].
log4j:INFO Creating new logger
[org.apache.log4j.joran.action.ConfigurationAction] in repository [default].
log4j:INFO Creating new logger
[org.apache.log4j.joran.action.AppenderAction] in repository [default].
log4j:INFO Creating new logger [org.apache.log4j.joran.action.ParamAction]
in repository [default].
log4j:INFO Creating new logger [org.apache.log4j.joran.action.LayoutAction]
in repository [default].
log4j:INFO Creating new logger [org.apache.log4j.FileAppender] in repository
[default].
log4j:INFO Creating new logger [org.apache.log4j.joran.action.LoggerAction]
in repository [default].
log4j:INFO Returning existing logger [org.apache.log4j] in repository
[default].
log4j:INFO Creating new logger [org.apache.log4j.joran.action.LevelAction]
in repository [default].
log4j:INFO Creating new logger
[org.apache.log4j.joran.action.RootLoggerAction] in repository [default].
log4j:INFO Returning existing logger
[org.apache.log4j.joran.action.LevelAction] in repository [default].
log4j:INFO Creating new logger
[org.apache.log4j.joran.action.AppenderRefAction] in repository [default].
DEBUG - Attaching appender named [ERROUT] to logger named [root].
DEBUG - Attaching appender named [A2] to logger named [root].
DEBUG - Removing root logger from top of stack.
log4j:INFO Creating new logger [org.apache.log4j.joran.JoranConfigurator] in
repository [default].
DEBUG - Finished parsing.
log4j:INFO Returning existing logger [org.apache.log4j] in repository
[default].
DEBUG - Ignoring debug attribute.
DEBUG - About to instantiate appender of type
[org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender]
DEBUG - Appender named as [STDOUT]
DEBUG - Pushing appender on to the object stack.
DEBUG - In ParamAction

Re: shut off internal logger output

Posted by Dave <wb...@comcast.net>.
Actually I would be happy if I could keep my chainsaw client appender(and
the ability to connect using the socket receiver or not)
and get rid of the log4j:INFO message stating the socket is trying to
connect. I know if I comment out the chainsaw appender in the config file it
goes away but I'm generating a .jar and would like to have the choice of
chainsaw or console without the log4j.INFO socket receiver polling message.

Re: shut off internal logger output

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@houston.rr.com>.
On Jun 28, 2005, at 7:18 PM, Dave wrote:

> I tried
>
> <logger name ="org.apache.log4j/>
>     <level value ="off"/>
> <logger/>
>
> I'm using 1.3.0alpha6 in WSAD
>
> This gets rid of the statements below generated internally starting
> with
> DEBUG
> I need to get rid of the log4j:INFO stuff
>
> is there any way?

I was working on this yesterday to get the log4j 1.2 tests passing
against log4j 1.3 and the stray internal log messages mess up the
comparisons.  I will try to commit a fix tomorrow.  Unfortunately,
you can't currently bypass the logging within the Joran configurator
at the moment since it will have already logged before you are able
to turn it off.

There are a couple complications, one is that the "internal" logs use
loggers descendent from "org.apache.log4j", however the same loggers
are also used within the unit tests.  The log4j 1.3 tests have added
configuration lines to turn off specific loggers (like
org.apache.log4j.FileAppender) that corrupt the test expectations.
The log4j 1.2 tests don't (and shouldn't) have to employ tricks to
get consistent behavior.  In my current patch, I've changed the log
names for the internal loggers to "log4j-internal." + class name.

The other change was to have the configurators initialize "log4j-
internal" with its additivity is set to false, its threshold to INFO
or DEBUG depending of the value of the configurations debug attribute
and attached to a console appender.  This should mimic the log4j 1.2
behavior or at least close enough so that internal logging doesn't
mess up the tests.  I'm not sure if that is where we will end up, but
it at least should be a step in the right direction.

Re: shut off internal logger output

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
At 01:18 AM 6/29/2005 +0100, you wrote:
 >I tried
 >
 ><logger name ="org.apache.log4j/>
 >    <level value ="off"/>
 ><logger/>
 >
 >I'm using 1.3.0alpha6 in WSAD
 >
 >This gets rid of the statements below generated internally starting with
 >DEBUG
 >I need to get rid of the log4j:INFO stuff
 >
 >is there any way?

Build from source.  alpha6 is seriously old at this point.  Until there is
another release, your best bet is the source itself.  Grab it from CVS.

Jake