Posted to dev@continuum.apache.org by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com> on 2009/06/03 22:29:10 UTC

Re: stability problems on vmbuild

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 7:08 AM, Emmanuel Venisse
<em...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Done.Brett can you upgrade vmbuild to see if it fix the issue?

Thanks, Emmanuel!  I upgraded vmbuild to 1.3.4-SNAPSHOT r781487 and
will check the logs in a couple of days to see how it's behaving.

--
Wendy

Re: stability problems on vmbuild

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 11:52 PM, Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 5:39 AM, Emmanuel
> Venisse<em...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > It's a bad news.
> > The only solution I see now is to change vmbuild with a real machine with
> > more resources cpu/memory.
> > At work, I have a Continuum instance with lot of projects and without
> this
> > issue.
>
> I agree it could probably use more resources.

I'd like to know if someone have an idea of the price to host
Continuum/Archiva on Amazon EC2 with a Continuum instance that contains all
projets that are on vmbuid.
ideas?

> The thing that concerns me is that it was doing okay before the
> upgrade to 1.3.x, so what changed?

Imoportant changes was parallel builds and scmRoots in prepare build tasks.

Emmanuel

Re: stability problems on vmbuild

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 1:31 PM, Emmanuel Venisse <
emmanuel.venisse@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 8:21 AM, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> On 11/06/2009, at 3:13 PM, Emmanuel Venisse wrote:
>>
>>  I look at vmbuild and it doesn't seem that the stability problem is
>>> related
>>> to open files. "lsof | grep continuum | wc -l" result is stable.
>>> I looked at the jvm memory and physical memory and the jvm memory is
>>> greater
>>> than the physical memory so swap memory is used and can slow down the
>>> jvm.
>>> If the jvm slow down, the wrapper can't ping it so it restart the
>>> process.
>>>
>>> Do you think too it is the cause of the issue?
>>> Can we have more physical memory or use less jvm memory?
>>>

>> I think it can be reduced, I'm not sure why it was that high, but is
>> possibly a result of higher consumption in older versions.
>

> Brett,
>
> I reduced the jvm mem to 1024. We'll see if it change something for the
> stability.

No jvm reboot in the latest 1.5 hours. It seems to be more stable now.

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 1:05 AM, Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 4:31 AM, Emmanuel
> Venisse<em...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I reduced the jvm mem to 1024. We'll see if it change something for the
> > stability.
>
> Thanks for looking at it.  Just so everyone knows how to change this,
> what did you edit?

I modified /home/continuum/services/continuum/conf/wrapper.conf.1.3.4
This file is used by /etc/init.d/continuum to initialized

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@gmail.com>.
I look at vmbuild and it doesn't seem that the stability problem is related
to open files. "lsof | grep continuum | wc -l" result is stable.
I looked at the jvm memory and physical memory and the jvm memory is greater
than the physical memory so swap memory is used and can slow down the jvm.
If the jvm slow down, the wrapper can't ping it so it restart the process.

Do you think too it is the cause of the issue?
Can we have more physical memory or use less jvm memory?

Emmanuel

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 10:23 AM, Emmanuel Venisse <

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@gmail.com>.
I misread the code, plexus-spring is ok.

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 8:18 AM, Emmanuel Venisse <

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@gmail.com>.
:-(