Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by sureshrk19 <su...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/28 07:46:48 UTC

Re: SOLR 4.4 - Slave always replicates full index

Thanks Shawn and Erick.

I followed SOLR configuration document and modified index strategy.

Looks good now. I haven't seen any problems in last 1 week.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Re: SOLR 4.4 - Slave always replicates full index

Posted by Robin Woods <wo...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Shawn. that makes sense.

Re: SOLR 4.4 - Slave always replicates full index

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.
On 7/22/2014 5:00 PM, Robin Woods wrote:
> I think, I found the issue!
>
> I actually missed to mention a very important step that I did, which is,
> CORE SWAP
> otherwise, it's not replicating the full index.
>
> when we do CORE SWAP, doesn't it do the same checks of copying only deltas?

Yes, it will look for differences and only copy what's changed ... but
when you swap cores, you're pretty much guaranteed that the entire index
is different on the master compared to the slave, so it will have to
copy the entire thing.  Even if you build the index in exactly the same
way in two cores at exactly the same time on the same machine, the end
result will have minor differences, such as the timestamp on each file.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: SOLR 4.4 - Slave always replicates full index

Posted by Robin Woods <wo...@gmail.com>.
I did observe the same..

1. updated an existing document.. means potentially marking the previous
document as "deleted" and adding a new version of it.. posted the JSON doc
using the Documents interface on the Admin UI.. left the default commit
within "1000" ms there on the Documents UI..

2. NOT optimized

3. Slave seems to be triggering the full replication (full index seems to be
replicated)

4. Using Solr 4.9

5. Does have the following on the master (but commit within from the
Documents UI might be overloading this.. (mentioning here just in case)
<autoCommit>
       <maxDocs>100000</maxDocs>
       <openSearcher>false</openSearcher>
     </autoCommit>

Can someone look into this and suggest...

Thanks!

Re: SOLR 4.4 - Slave always replicates full index

Posted by Dominik Siebel <me...@dsiebel.de>.
Erick:

I now that. I didn't optimize the index frequently. The problem was more
that a lot of documents have been added (without commit or autoCommit
configured) to the index and MergePolicy kicked in and started merging the
segments (i guess). This led to all segments beeing replicated because all
of them had changed.

I didn't find a solution yet so I am *now* optimizing the index after every
full import (once a day) and replicate then to save the bandwidth..

I was more interested in the change to index strategy that Suresh mentioned.

~ Dom

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
Note that this problem can also happen if the RealTimeGet handler is
missing from your solrconfig.xml because PeerSync will always fail and a
full replication will be triggerred. I added warn-level logging to complain
when this happens but it is possible that you are using an older version of
Solr which does not have that logging.

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 5:27 AM, Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dominik:
>
> If you optimize your index, then the entire thing will be replicated
> from the master to the slave every time. In general, optimizing isn't
> necessary even though it sounds like something that's A Good Thing.
>
> I suspect that's the nub of the issue.
>
> Erick
>
> On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 11:14 PM, Dominik Siebel <me...@dsiebel.de> wrote:
> > Hey Suresh,
> >
> > could you get a little more specific on what solved your problem here?
> > I am currently facing the same problem and am trying to find a proper
> > solution.
> > Thanks!
> >
> > ~ Dom

> >> Thanks Shawn and Erick.
> >>
> >> I followed SOLR configuration document and modified index strategy.
> >>
> >> Looks good now. I haven't seen any problems in last 1 week.
> >>
> >> Thanks for your suggestions.
> >>

> >> --

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: SOLR 4.4 - Slave always replicates full index

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Dominik:

Posted by Dominik Siebel <me...@dsiebel.de>.
Hey Suresh,