Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Claus Goettfert <cl...@gmx.net> on 2002/03/14 12:56:17 UTC

the use of slide

hi all,

I've tried to get aquainted with slide over the past 2 weeks, but utterly
failed as it seems.

I've read all the documentation (I only found the one at
http://jakarta.apache.org/slide/), the global faqs and the slide guide. and
as far as this is concerned I think I understood most of this, so how slide
authenticates users, manages namespaces and so on.

it is difficult to explain, but it seems that I have quite missed the point
of slide.

so I'm going to ask questions, and hoping for answers which would clarify
the use of slide for me.

1) I don't have to implement anything further to use slide except eg if I
want to use some other storage systems (eg not db or filesystem) where
drivers for are not implemented yet

I also don't have to implement any jsp pages or java servlets for the
interface because there is no interface, because the webdav client is the
interface.
but if so, how I'm going to use a database when I eg want to have some
atricles (date, teaser, header, text of article) stored without an (eg
html) interface?
I know that I can configure how data of certain nodes is stored (so file
system or db etc), but those two usages are quite different. using a db
would need an interface. where is this interface or where do I have to put
it (are there examples?)

or
2) the only use of slide is to authenticate users, manage namespaces, have
an acl to provide rights for different users. probably use versioning or
logging.

3) the only thing a end-user really needs is a webdav client. with that, he
can look up eg versioning, write and read files.

4) can someone point me to a real example, where slide is used? where I can
go through the files and hopefully understand how this all works together
and make sense out of it.

if there is some explanation about this on the net, I would be grateful if
someone can point me there.

I also had troubles using the documentation for configuring slide because
at some points the documenation simply misses important information (eg
where to change things and how the syntax looks like). so probably there is
some other documentation somewhere?

a big thank you to you all,

claus goettfert

Re: the use of slide

Posted by Claus Goettfert <cl...@gmx.net>.
Hello Chad,

thank you again for your input.

my web.xml looks exactly as you suggested, but unfortunately, I can't
access the servlet via my browser. I doesn't even show the "welcome-file"
as stated in web.xml. there is simply the namespace listet in the
"tomcat-manager", I can access this namespace but no other file is listed
there. I can access the servlet if I deploy the war file in tomcat standalone.

the same happens with slide.war, if I deploy it in server/webapps/. there
is a namespace (which is already there as far as I know) but nothing else.

so, to have everything correct:

1) deploying SlideTestServlet.war into /jakarta-slide/server/webapps/
2) starting slide with /jakarta-slide/server/bin/startup.bat
3) trying to access via http://localhost:8080/SlideTestServlet/test

when trying to access I get a 404 and:
type Status report
message /test
description The requested resource (/test) is not available.

mhm ...
1) do I have to add any contexts somewhere?
2) do I need to add my namespace to /jakarta-slide/server/conf/slide.xml ?

I tried various versions and configurations, but nothing worked.

regards,

claus goettfert

Claus Goettfert
Rustengasse 3 / 1
1153 Wien / AUSTRIA
Tel.: +43/(0)650/503 301 0
web: http://www.goettfert.at
claus@goettfert.at

SecurityToken

Posted by Igal Corcos <co...@metalink.ca>.
Hello,

Does anyone know why the constructor for SecurityToken requires an instance
of the class Object? Does this mean that we can pass in any object at all?
Is this object ever used?

Just wondering.

Thanks
-Igal