Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Han JU <ju...@gmail.com> on 2013/06/05 11:30:58 UTC

Recover dfs/name

Hi,

The folder /tmp/hadoop-user/dfs/name is accidentally deleted by a colleague
(along with all other things in this directory), is there any means to
recover this directory?
I know the directory where dfs is located in every datanode. Can I
reconstruct the deleted files without formatting the hdfs?

Thanks!

--
*JU Han*

Software Engineer Intern @ KXEN Inc.
UTC   -  Université de Technologie de Compiègne
*     **GI06 - Fouille de Données et Décisionnel*

+33 0619608888

Re: Recover dfs/name

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
If /tmp/hadoop-user/dfs/namesecondary doesn't exist now, then yes, you
need to start over. Try keeping multiple copies and on a location
thats off-/tmp (use dfs.name.dir config).

--
Harsh J

Re: Recover dfs/name

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Recover dfs/name

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Recover dfs/name

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Recover dfs/name

Posted by Han JU <ju...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Ted.

Re: Recover dfs/name

Posted by Han JU <ju...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Ted.

Re: Recover dfs/name

Posted by Han JU <ju...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Ted.

Re: Recover dfs/name

Posted by Han JU <ju...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Ted.

Re: Recover dfs/name

Posted by Ted Xu <tx...@gopivotal.com>.
Hi Han,

HDFS metadata cannot be fully reconstructed by datanode report.

If you have deployed a checkpoint node/secondary namenode, you can copy the
metadata to namenode and restart. This could recover most of the metadata.

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 5:30 PM, Han JU <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The folder /tmp/hadoop-user/dfs/name is accidentally deleted by a
> colleague (along with all other things in this directory), is there any
> means to recover this directory?
> I know the directory where dfs is located in every datanode. Can I
> reconstruct the deleted files without formatting the hdfs?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> *JU Han*
>
> Software Engineer Intern @ KXEN Inc.
> UTC   -  Université de Technologie de Compiègne
> *     **GI06 - Fouille de Données et Décisionnel*
>
> +33 0619608888

Ted Xu

Re: Recover dfs/name

Posted by Ted Xu <tx...@gopivotal.com>.
Hi Han,

HDFS metadata cannot be fully reconstructed by datanode report.

If you have deployed a checkpoint node/secondary namenode, you can copy the
metadata to namenode and restart. This could recover most of the metadata.

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 5:30 PM, Han JU <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The folder /tmp/hadoop-user/dfs/name is accidentally deleted by a
> colleague (along with all other things in this directory), is there any
> means to recover this directory?
> I know the directory where dfs is located in every datanode. Can I
> reconstruct the deleted files without formatting the hdfs?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> *JU Han*
>
> Software Engineer Intern @ KXEN Inc.
> UTC   -  Université de Technologie de Compiègne
> *     **GI06 - Fouille de Données et Décisionnel*
>
> +33 0619608888

Ted Xu

Re: Recover dfs/name

Posted by Ted Xu <tx...@gopivotal.com>.
Hi Han,

HDFS metadata cannot be fully reconstructed by datanode report.

If you have deployed a checkpoint node/secondary namenode, you can copy the
metadata to namenode and restart. This could recover most of the metadata.

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 5:30 PM, Han JU <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The folder /tmp/hadoop-user/dfs/name is accidentally deleted by a
> colleague (along with all other things in this directory), is there any
> means to recover this directory?
> I know the directory where dfs is located in every datanode. Can I
> reconstruct the deleted files without formatting the hdfs?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> *JU Han*
>
> Software Engineer Intern @ KXEN Inc.
> UTC   -  Université de Technologie de Compiègne
> *     **GI06 - Fouille de Données et Décisionnel*
>
> +33 0619608888

Ted Xu

Re: Recover dfs/name

Posted by Ted Xu <tx...@gopivotal.com>.
Hi Han,

HDFS metadata cannot be fully reconstructed by datanode report.

If you have deployed a checkpoint node/secondary namenode, you can copy the
metadata to namenode and restart. This could recover most of the metadata.

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 5:30 PM, Han JU <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The folder /tmp/hadoop-user/dfs/name is accidentally deleted by a
> colleague (along with all other things in this directory), is there any
> means to recover this directory?
> I know the directory where dfs is located in every datanode. Can I
> reconstruct the deleted files without formatting the hdfs?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> *JU Han*
>
> Software Engineer Intern @ KXEN Inc.
> UTC   -  Université de Technologie de Compiègne
> *     **GI06 - Fouille de Données et Décisionnel*
>
> +33 0619608888

Ted Xu