Posted to user@forrest.apache.org by Kevin <fo...@kegcl.demon.co.uk> on 2005/08/25 23:47:49 UTC

resume plugin with dtdx plugin

Hi,

I like the resume plugin and it's collation of skillsets from
a team. Is there a simple way of presenting one resume without
using the team directory structure?

Resume xml validate in forrest build process fine using catalogs
to find the dtd. I used the dtdx plugin to try and expand the
resume dtd so I could see the structure. It failed so I ended up
copying the resume dtd to forrest core because of:

  <map:generate type="nekodtd"
src="{forrest:context}/resources/schema/dtd/{2}.dtd">

Could the dtdx plugin use catalogs as in the validation process?

It was a hack copying the resume dtd. I could add another src
line to the dtdx plugin input.xmap but hardcoding alternate
paths for non core dtds may not be the best way. Any ideas?

Kevin

Re: resume plugin with dtdx plugin

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Moving this over from the user list. More below ...

David Crossley wrote:
> Kevin wrote:
> >
> > I like the resume plugin and it's collation of skillsets from
> > a team. Is there a simple way of presenting one resume without
> > using the team directory structure?
> >
> > Resume xml validate in forrest build process fine using catalogs
> > to find the dtd. I used the dtdx plugin to try and expand the
> > resume dtd so I could see the structure. It failed so I ended up
> > copying the resume dtd to forrest core because of:
> >
> >   <map:generate type="nekodtd"
> > src="{forrest:context}/resources/schema/dtd/{2}.dtd">
>
> The dtdx plugin was started by extracting our
> existing facility out of the core. It was only
> intended to display our own document-v* DTDs.
>
> It could be made more generic so that it can apply to
> any source.
>
> > Could the dtdx plugin use catalogs as in the validation process?
>
> Yes it certainly can. Any plugin can provide its own
> catalog and sets of resources. Only a couple of plugins
> have been configured so far.
>
> Also a project can provide its own catalog.
>
> Back to the dtdx plugin. That sounds like a great idea
> to use the catalog entity resolver to find the source.
>
> This is a topic for the dev list, so continued there.

It seems that the "nekodtd" generator
main/java/org/apache/forrest/xni/XNIConfigurableFileGenerator.java
does attempt to use the entity resolver. However i don't think
that it is. The log files seem to show that the other pieces
of the DTDs are found using the entity resolver (e.g. document-v20.mod)
but not the first file (e.g. document-v20.dtd).

Perhaps that generator needs some work.

-David

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Tim Williams wrote:
> On 8/26/05, Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>Kevin wrote:
>>
>>>I like the resume plugin and it's collation of skillsets from
>>>a team. Is there a simple way of presenting one resume without
>>>using the team directory structure?
>>
>>In 0.7 I am afraid not. However, in 0.8-dev, it is possible to change
>>the directory structure used (although it is a bit of a hack at present).
>>
>>If you need to work with 0.7 then you can hack a solution by editing
>>"input.xmap" in the resume plugin and changing the name of the directory
>>being used for the resumes. However, all resumes must appear in the same
>>directory because we use the directoryGenerator to bring together all
>>the documents.
>

> I don't know anything about the resume plugin but the directory
> generator decends directories nicely, so if there's a limitation for
> all resumes to appear in the same directory, why is it because of the
> directoryGenerator?

Because ir returns *all* files ot just ones that are Resumes. This could
cause unpredictable results.

Ross

Re: resume plugin with dtdx plugin

Posted by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.
On 8/26/05, Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> wrote:
> Kevin wrote:
> > I like the resume plugin and it's collation of skillsets from
> > a team. Is there a simple way of presenting one resume without
> > using the team directory structure?
>
> In 0.7 I am afraid not. However, in 0.8-dev, it is possible to change
> the directory structure used (although it is a bit of a hack at present).
>
> If you need to work with 0.7 then you can hack a solution by editing
> "input.xmap" in the resume plugin and changing the name of the directory
> being used for the resumes. However, all resumes must appear in the same
> directory because we use the directoryGenerator to bring together all
> the documents.

I don't know anything about the resume plugin but the directory
generator decends directories nicely, so if there's a limitation for
all resumes to appear in the same directory, why is it because of the
directoryGenerator?
--tim

Re: resume plugin with dtdx plugin

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Kevin wrote:
> I like the resume plugin and it's collation of skillsets from
> a team. Is there a simple way of presenting one resume without
> using the team directory structure?

In 0.7 I am afraid not. However, in 0.8-dev, it is possible to change
the directory structure used (although it is a bit of a hack at present).

If you need to work with 0.7 then you can hack a solution by editing
"input.xmap" in the resume plugin and changing the name of the directory
being used for the resumes. However, all resumes must appear in the same
directory because we use the directoryGenerator to bring together all
the documents.

An less "hacky" solution would be to write a custom generator, but that
response is beyond the scope of the user list, we'll advise on the dev
list if you want to go that way.

(your other questions seem well covered in Davids response)

Ross