Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Donald Smith <Do...@audiencescience.com> on 2015/04/29 17:40:58 UTC

Cassandra hanging in IntervalTree.comparePoints() and in CompactionController.maxPurgeableTimestamp()

We deployed a brand new 13 node 2.1.4 C* cluster and used sstabloader to stream about 500GB into cassandra.   The streaming took less than a day but afterwards  pending compactions do not decrease.  The Cassandra nodes (which have about 500 pending compactions each) seem to spend most of their time in

    IntervalTree.comparePoints() and in
    CompactionController.maxPurgegableTimestamp()

(sometimes, too, in com.google.common.util.concurrent.Uninterruptibles.sleepUninteruptedly()).  That's what Java VisualVM shows that they're doing in the sampler.

Many of the nodes show 100% cpu usage per core.

Any idea what's causing it to hang?

Might http://qnalist.com/questions/5818079/reasons-for-nodes-not-compacting  or https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-8914  explain it?  Altering the table to use ,  'cold_reads_to_omit': 0.0  didn't help.

  Thanks, Don

Donald A. Smith | Senior Software Engineer
P: 425.201.3900 x 3866
C: (206) 819-5965
F: (646) 443-2333
donalds@AudienceScience.com<ma...@AudienceScience.com>

[AudienceScience]

Re: Cassandra hanging in IntervalTree.comparePoints() and in CompactionController.maxPurgeableTimestamp()

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>.
On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 8:40 AM, Donald Smith <
Donald.Smith@audiencescience.com> wrote:

>  We deployed a brand new 13 node 2.1.4 C* cluster and used sstabloader to
> stream about 500GB into cassandra.   The streaming took less than a day but
> afterwards  pending compactions do not decrease.  The Cassandra nodes
> (which have about 500 pending compactions each) seem to spend most of their
> time in

Try with the just-released 2.1.5?

=Rob