Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by scooter <dy...@hotmail.com> on 2007/10/11 13:52:47 UTC

Text shift during export to PNG

Hi all,

I have come across a strange problem when exporting an SVGDocument to PNG
using the Batik PNGTranscoder.

In general it works well, but on one particular server (the application is
deployed on three test servers) all the Text content of the Document is
shifted upwards. The amount of movement seems to share some relationship
with the font size. For example, smaller text is moved less than larger
text.

I am not sure where to start looking for the cause of this problem. Clearly
there is something different in the environment of the server in question,
but am not sure what that could be.

(Will post screenshots if that helps?)

Any tips gratefully received as ever,

Regards, Dylan

RE: Text shift during export to PNG

Posted by Dylan Browne <db...@mango-solutions.com>.
Thanks for that Cameron, will give those suggestions a run and let you know, thanks. Yes, the sylesheets are external to the SVG Document, included as resource in a WAR file, maybe that’s where the problem lies when using SSL.

We have just uploaded the same source to the test environment of the customer (where the SSL and certificates are set up correctly, though this may still be a red herring!) and everything is fine.

Agreed, impossible to elicit any further information without setting up a reproducible test case, so I'll look at that now and post it when I get something useful.

Many thanks again for all the help,
Dylan

Posted by Cameron McCormack <ca...@mcc.id.au>.
Hi Dylan.

--
Cameron McCormack, http://mcc.id.au/

RE: Text shift during export to PNG

Posted by th...@kodak.com.
Hi Dylan,

"Dylan Browne" <db...@mango-solutions.com> wrote on 10/17/2007 04:27:16
AM:

> Further info.... it seems like the bounding box of a text element is
> being returned as the same dimensions regardless of the font-size that
> is applied. This suggests it is assuming the default font-size?
> Suggesting that the font-size in the CSS is not being picked up?
>
> We are currently using SSL in our own environment, where our
> certificates may not be set up completely correctly. Is it possible that
> when we use getBBox() there is a refusal in a handshake somewhere along
> the line, so the stylesheet is not accessible?

   The problem would be when the document is loaded.  If the
stylesheet can't be retrieved for what ever reason then it is silently
ignored (this is actually required by the CSS spec).  I would
give you 10:1 odds that this is your problem.

RE: Text shift during export to PNG

Posted by Dylan Browne <db...@mango-solutions.com>.
[...]

Many thanks for the replies so far,

Dylan.

Posted by Andreas Neumann <ne...@karto.baug.ethz.ch>.

Posted by Dylan Browne <db...@mango-solutions.com>.
Hi all,

________________________________

scooter wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have come across a strange problem when exporting an SVGDocument to
PNG
> using the Batik PNGTranscoder.
>
> In general it works well, but on one particular server (the
application is
> deployed on three test servers) all the Text content of the Document
is
> shifted upwards. The amount of movement seems to share some
relationship
> with the font size. For example, smaller text is moved less than
larger
> text.
>
> I am not sure where to start looking for the cause of this problem.
Clearly
> there is something different in the environment of the server in
question,
> but am not sure what that could be.
>
> (Will post screenshots if that helps?)
>
> Any tips gratefully received as ever,
>
> Regards, Dylan

Archie L. Cobbs
CTO, Awarix, Inc.
http://www.awarix.com

Re: Text shift during export to PNG

Posted by Archie Cobbs <ar...@awarix.com>.
This is probably not the problem but... I've seen text "shifting" in the
past when I wasn't being careful about whitespace.

E.g., if the XML files are identical, but one has more or less whitespace
inside a <text> tag, then the text can shift because of the extra space.

On 10/15/07, Greg <gr...@mapvision.com> wrote:

>  Same fonts are used on server. I have tried this on PC and Linux. The
> same shifting occurs on both. I have also tried different fonts with the
> same shifting.
>
> Greg
>
> Guillaume Rosauro wrote:
>
> Are the same fonts installed on the servers? Maybe the problem could come
> from this.
>

> On 10/12/07, *Dylan Browne* < dbrowne@mango-solutions.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Greg,
>
> Thanks for that, good to know we are not alone! ;)
>
> Does anyone have any more specific info about this... my concern is that
> it is not consistent between machines/environments (though within a
> single machine/environment it is consistent).
>
> Grateful for any help,
>
> Dylan.

Archie L. Cobbs
CTO, Awarix, Inc.