Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Ziggy <zi...@gmail.com> on 2008/10/09 19:52:01 UTC

DelegatingConnection and getInnerMostConnection() not working

Hi,

I am trying to get to the underlying connection from the Tomcat pool but
having some problems. I used this document to configure the pool
http://commons.apache.org/dbcp/configuration.html

The connection pool works fine if i dont try to get the underlying
connection.
I have the following configuration

App server = Tomcat5.5
jdbc driver = Type 4

<Resource name="jdbc/testdb" auth="Container"
              type="javax.sql.DataSource" driverClassName="oracle.jdbc.
driver.OracleDriver"
              url="jdbc:oracle:thin:@10.10.10.10:1521:testdb"
              username="testuser" password="testuser" maxActive="20"
maxIdle="10"
              maxWait="-1" accessToUnderlyingConnectionAllowed="true"/>

And here is what i am trying to do (and where i get an exception)

Connection = ds.getConnection();
Connection dconn = ((DelegatingConnection) conn).getInnermostDelegate();

When i try to get the underlying connection i get the following error

Throwable:org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.PoolingDataSource$PoolGuardConnectionWrapper

java.lang.ClassCastException:
org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.PoolingDataSource$PoolGuardConnectionWrapper
    at oracle.sql.ArrayDescriptor.createDescriptor(ArrayDescriptor.java:149)
    at oracle.sql.ArrayDescriptor.createDescriptor(ArrayDescriptor.java:115)
    at
com.bt.ccs21.data.accessors.ConsignmentDAO.submitDeclaration(ConsignmentDAO.java:251)
    at
com.bt.ccs21.presentation.events.consignment.search.SubmitDeclaration.midAction(SubmitDeclaration.java:107)
    at
com.bt.ccs21.presentation.events.CCS21EventAction.execute(CCS21EventAction.java:67)
    at
org.apache.struts.chain.commands.servlet.ExecuteAction.execute(ExecuteAction.java:58)
    at
org.apache.struts.chain.commands.AbstractExecuteAction.execute(AbstractExecuteAction.java:67)
    at
org.apache.struts.chain.commands.ActionCommandBase.execute(ActionCommandBase.java:51)
    at org.apache.commons.chain.impl.ChainBase.execute(ChainBase.java:190)
    at
org.apache.commons.chain.generic.LookupCommand.execute(LookupCommand.java:304)
    at org.apache.commons.chain.impl.ChainBase.execute(ChainBase.java:190)
    at
org.apache.struts.chain.ComposableRequestProcessor.process(ComposableRequestProcessor.java:283)
    at
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(ActionServlet.java:1913)

    at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doPost(ActionServlet.java:462)

    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:647)

    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:729)

    at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:269)

    at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:188)

    at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213)

    at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:172)

    at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127)

    at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:117)

    at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:108)

    at
org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:174)

    at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:875)

    at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:665)

    at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:528)

    at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:81)

    at
org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:689)

    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

I have the following libraries in $TOMCAT_HOME/common/lib

- commons-dbcp-1.2.2.jar
- oracle_jdbc14.jar

I dont know why it is giving me this error. Any help will be greatly
appreciated.

Re: DelegatingConnection and getInnerMostConnection() not working

Posted by "cyrille.roy@free.fr" <cy...@free.fr>.
Hi,

I also tried unsuccessfuly to access the underlying connection to
physically close it using the
Connection = ds.getConnection();
Connection dconn = ((DelegatingConnection) conn).getInnermostDelegate();
dconn.close();

I managed to physically close a connection, but I wasn't able to
recreate it after, and I destroyed the counter for number of max active
sessions.
So, I think you will have the same issue once you have solved your
ClassCastException.
see
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/commons-user/200810.mbox/%3C48E5047D.3080707@free.fr%3E

I changed the approach by
- creating my own MyBasicDataSourceFactory extending BasicDataSourceFactory
- creating my own MyBasicDataSource extending BasicDataSource
- creating my own MyGenericPool extending GenericObjectPool
then overriding the returnObject method which will in some cases call
the **invalidateObject** method.

hope this helps,
Cyrille.