Posted to dev@chukwa.apache.org by Eric Yang <er...@gmail.com> on 2019/07/07 16:52:14 UTC

[DISCUSSION] Chukwa path to 1.0

Hi all,

Hadoop 3.x has removed Hadoop metrics v1 api, and also Record IO, sequence
file related API.  For Chukwa to continue the path to 1.0, we have a few

1.  Release whatever we have with Hadoop 2.9.2, and call it Chukwa 1.0.
Some metrics would not be accurate because reliance on Hadoop metrics v1
api.
2.  Update the code to use Hadoop metrics v2, and continue the path to 0.9,
and 0.x releases until Chukwa become stable with new API.  Chukwa 1.0 will
be base on Hadoop 3.x.
3.  Import Hadoop metrics v1 api to Chukwa to keep maintaining backward
compatibility.
4.  Retire the project.

I am in favor of option #2.  However, this will lead to replace parts of
Chukwa agent with metrics v2 api, and complete removal of Demux and
archival API, which are destructive to Chukwa project.  This can only be
done with a lot of planning and code contribution.  Thoughts?

regards,
Eric

Re: [DISCUSSION] Chukwa path to 1.0

Posted by Eric Yang <er...@gmail.com>.