Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Lukáš Vlček <lu...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/28 11:30:38 UTC

Mahout GUI [was Re: Input format [Re: Taste Vs Weka]]

Hi,

Speaking about Mahout GUI how useful do you see it would be?

I don't have direct experience with WEKA or similar tool GUIs but do you
think that wrapping Mahout into kind of plugin for them would be easy and
straightdorward? More specifically, the part of running Mahout jobs deals
with managing Hadoop and/or HDFS a lot I think. This makes me think that a
good GUI for Mahout would always reguire a little bit more then just simple
load data file, run algorithm(s) and view/visualize results. It should
include tools for managing, setting and monitoring Hadoop, HDFS ... etc. Do
you agree? Or is there already anything like this included in WEKA or Yale?

To me it seems that it would be nice to build a decent Mahout GUI based on
NetBeans platform for it contains a lot of useful stuff: they developed a
lot of visualization stuff for mobile and JSP development and integration of
existing Swing components is very easy and the platform itself provides a
lot of useful stuff anyway and allows easy modular architecture. I know that
it will take a long time before the Mahout API sattles down (thus adoption
of JDM API would be useful at some point) but do you think that GUI for
Mahout would be useful and that such development is worth the effort as
opposed to integration with WEKA or Yale GUI? What are the main
problems/challenges with Mahout GUI that you can see?

Regards,
Lukas

--
http://blog.lukas-vlcek.com/

Re: Mahout GUI [was Re: Input format [Re: Taste Vs Weka]]

Posted by Richard Tomsett <in...@gmail.com>.
Lukáš Vlček wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Speaking about Mahout GUI how useful do you see it would be?
>
> I don't have direct experience with WEKA or similar tool GUIs but do you
> think that wrapping Mahout into kind of plugin for them would be easy and
> straightdorward? More specifically, the part of running Mahout jobs deals
> with managing Hadoop and/or HDFS a lot I think. This makes me think that a
> good GUI for Mahout would always reguire a little bit more then just simple
> load data file, run algorithm(s) and view/visualize results. It should
> include tools for managing, setting and monitoring Hadoop, HDFS ... etc. Do
> you agree? Or is there already anything like this included in WEKA or Yale?

I don't think there's anything like that in WEKA, though as it's all
Java it should be do-able. I like the way the Eclipse Hadoop plug-in
works regarding connecting to Hadoop, monitoring job progress and
viewing the filesystem, it makes things pretty straightforward, so that
kind of functionality built into the pre-existing GUI of something like
WEKA might be nice. I suppose though that if you had a Mahout plug-in
for something like WEKA, it would be expected just to make the suite of
algorithms available in WEKA work on Hadoop rather than (or as well as)
providing a different set of algorithms.

A GUI could be nice and would definitely help with playing around with
Mahout without much effort.