Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Gus Heck <gu...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/14 00:49:28 UTC

Hi Again after 9 years

Don't know if any1 remembers me but I contributed some tasks and fixes back
in 2003-2004 (1.4 - 1.6 days) I'm thinking of writing a task to pack .crx
files for chrome extensions. I have the following questions:

   1. Is there interest for such a task to be contributed? It seems that
   there are no pure java options out there so this would be useful.
   2. Are there any major changes in the way a task is written today vs
   1.6. You don't need to tell me things that are on here:
   http://ant.apache.org/manual/develop.html . Rather, I am looking for
   advice about what may have changed in ant that I may trip over.

What do folks think?

-Gus

--
http://www.the111shift.com

Re: Hi Again after 9 years

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2013-11-14, Gus Heck wrote:

> Don't know if any1 remembers me but I contributed some tasks and fixes back
> in 2003-2004 (1.4 - 1.6 days)

Welcome back.

> I'm thinking of writing a task to pack .crx files for chrome
> extensions. I have the following questions:

>    1. Is there interest for such a task to be contributed? It seems that
>    there are no pure java options out there so this would be useful.

You will have noticed a tendency to pack new tasks into independent
Antlib rather then bundle them as core tasks.  That being said, I'm not
sure.  Maybe poll the user list to see whether there is enough interest
to make it a core task?

>    2. Are there any major changes in the way a task is written today vs
>    1.6. You don't need to tell me things that are on here:
>    http://ant.apache.org/manual/develop.html . Rather, I am looking for
>    advice about what may have changed in ant that I may trip over.

Not much.  One change is Java5 so you can now (finally) use generics and
enums in core tasks - enums have started to replace EnumeratedAttribute
as first choice for attributes that only allow a certain set of values.

Resources are used in more places, so if the underlying task can work
with streams rather than real files you'd prefer ResourceCollections
over FileSets.

Stefan