Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by v....@lombardodier.com on 2012/04/12 11:59:28 UTC

search for token starting with a wildcard

Hi,

I have a large index with a field that contains a important number of
terms. I knew that searching with a term starting with a wildcard was not
a good idea; looking at WildcardTermEnum(IndexReader,Term) and
IndexReader.terms(Term) I understand better why now. I have been asked
however by my users to provide this type of feature. do you plan to
address this in the future, or are there any workarounds? how do people do
when they really need to be able to search for terms that start with
wildcards?
thanks
vince

************************ DISCLAIMER ************************
This message is intended only for use by the person to
whom it is addressed. It may contain information that is
privileged and confidential. Its content does not
constitute a formal commitment by Lombard Odier & Cie
or any of its branches or affiliates.
If you are not the intended recipient of this message,
kindly notify the sender immediately and destroy this
message. Thank You.

Re: search for token starting with a wildcard

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Typically, they index the text in reverse order
as well as forward order (similar to synonyms)
so if you have a term in your field
"reverse", you index "esrever" and now your
leading-wildcard search for "*verse" becomes
a trailing search for "esrev*".

There is an implementation in Solr, see:
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/AnalyzersTokenizersTokenFilters#solr.ReversedWildcardFilterFactory
that you might be able to get some ideas from.

Best
Erick