Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by flav <fl...@epita.fr> on 2004/06/10 15:57:51 UTC

velocigen

Hello

I'm trying to migrate some velocigen script to mod_perl
did someone do it before ??
I'm trying to use axkit
If someone knows some tools...

Thanks

--
flav

Re: velocigen

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Perrin Harkins wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-06-10 at 11:04, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>Not quite so for BEGIN blocks:
>>http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/porting.html#BEGIN_blocks
>>They won't be run on each request.
>

> They will be if you use PerlRun though, since it compiles them each
> time.  END block stuff could probably be moved to a cleanup_handler.

Right, but you snipped the context where the suggestion was to use
Apache::Registry, on which I was commenting.

Re: velocigen

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.
On Thu, 2004-06-10 at 11:04, Stas Bekman wrote:
> Not quite so for BEGIN blocks:
> http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/porting.html#BEGIN_blocks
> They won't be run on each request.

They will be if you use PerlRun though, since it compiles them each
time.  END block stuff could probably be moved to a cleanup_handler.

- Perrin

Re: velocigen

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
gunther wrote:
> The following talk link discusses how to do something similar to what
> you ask
>
> http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/os2001/view/e_sess/1262
>
> I am not sure if Oreilly allows the presentations to be downloaded for
> old conferences somewhere on their website. If not, email me privately
> and I will dig up the slides for you.
>
> In summary, you will probably do well by replacing start() and end()
> fnctions with BEGIN, END blocks instead and using Apache::PerlRun
> instead of Apache::Registry since Velocigen is more similar to PerlRun.
> Try Apache::Registry though because Apache::Registry is even better (but
> more finicky about how you write your code). Anyway, I am 95% sure that
> this would let you run your velocigen scripts mostly in mod_perl with
> minimal hassles.

Not quite so for BEGIN blocks:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/porting.html#BEGIN_blocks
They won't be run on each request. I'm not familiar with velocigen to suggest
the right solution.

Re: velocigen

Posted by gunther <gu...@extropia.com>.
The following talk link discusses how to do something similar to what
you ask

http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/os2001/view/e_sess/1262

I am not sure if Oreilly allows the presentations to be downloaded for
old conferences somewhere on their website. If not, email me privately
and I will dig up the slides for you.

In summary, you will probably do well by replacing start() and end()
fnctions with BEGIN, END blocks instead and using Apache::PerlRun
instead of Apache::Registry since Velocigen is more similar to PerlRun.
Try Apache::Registry though because Apache::Registry is even better (but
more finicky about how you write your code). Anyway, I am 95% sure that
this would let you run your velocigen scripts mostly in mod_perl with
minimal hassles.

AxKit is really a tool on top of mod_perl, so migrating velocigen
scripts to AxKit is really another issue entirely.

Good Luck