Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Brandon Fosdick <bf...@bfoz.net> on 2005/08/20 01:32:08 UTC

What happened to the "Apache 2 cross reference"?

For a month or two now I've been using the cross reference that was linked from the developer documentation page. Then it went away for awhile and now its back with some weird crippled version that can't do wild card searches for identifiers. The source navigation is broken too. eg. If you try to decend into the modules/dav/fs directory you get sent back to the top.

What happened?

Re: What happened to the "Apache 2 cross reference"?

Posted by Ian Holsman <li...@holsman.net>.
Brandon Fosdick wrote:
> For a month or two now I've been using the cross reference that was
> linked from the developer documentation page. Then it went away for
> awhile and now its back with some weird crippled version that can't do
> wild card searches for identifiers. The source navigation is broken too.
> eg. If you try to decend into the modules/dav/fs directory you get sent
> back to the top.
>
> What happened?

If you are refering to http://docx.webperf.org & http://lxr.webperf.org
they suffered a machine move.

http://docx.webperf.org is back up now (and looks a bit prettier IMHO)
http://lxr.webperf.org will be fixed in the next week or so.

I'm might take Rachel's queue and stick some ads on the page, I can use
the extra $1 or 2 it will make.

regards
ian

Re: What happened to the "Apache 2 cross reference"?

Posted by Rachel Willmer <rw...@gmail.com>.
thanks for the suggestion, I'll see what I can do :-)

Re: What happened to the "Apache 2 cross reference"?

Posted by Brandon Fosdick <bf...@bfoz.net>.
Rachel Willmer wrote:
> ok, take a look at <http://www.hobthross.com/docs/apache2/srcdoc/> and
> try out the search now. By default, it will do partial-word matching
> e.g. strdup matches apr_strdup, etc, and if you want the exact word
> only, you can choose that option.

Better. Although the search results are nearly incomprehensible without line breaks. Or maybe its just firefox.

I actually liked the results layout that the old version had. The results were wrong most of the time, but it was easier to read, it linked directly to the relevant line(s), and sorted the results by type (declaration, useage, files, etc).

BTW, here's another page I found that looks like its based off the same backend, but I can't seem to replicate it using the link you sent. I think I'm just missing something.
http://apr.apache.org/docs/apr/group__apr__strings.html

> I'm still futzing around with the stylesheets and layout, so they may
> change, but I'd be interested to see what you think...

Frames are evil :)

Re: What happened to the "Apache 2 cross reference"?

Posted by Brandon Fosdick <bf...@bfoz.net>.
I know this thread died a while ago, but I ran across something interesting the other day while looking for VXI drivers and wasn't sure if anybody here had seen it.

http://gonzui.sourceforge.net/

Its a source code browser/searcher with some neat highlighting tricks. The site's page looks like crap in Firefox/FreeBSD (much better on IE sadly, but it looks ok on Firefox/OSX).

Here's an implementation of it for browsing Ruby stuff. The file gpib.c is a good example to look at.
http://raa.ruby-lang.org/gonzui/markup/ruby-gpib

Any thoughts?

Re: What happened to the "Apache 2 cross reference"?

Posted by Rachel Willmer <rw...@gmail.com>.
ok, take a look at <http://www.hobthross.com/docs/apache2/srcdoc/> and
try out the search now. By default, it will do partial-word matching
e.g. strdup matches apr_strdup, etc, and if you want the exact word
only, you can choose that option.

I'm still futzing around with the stylesheets and layout, so they may
change, but I'd be interested to see what you think...

One thought I have is whether it would be worth modifying the layout
so it enforced the line breaks for a clearer layout.

Rachel

Re: What happened to the "Apache 2 cross reference"?

Posted by Brandon Fosdick <bf...@bfoz.net>.
Nick Kew wrote:
> Anyway, to be really useful, you'd want not just apr_pstrdup and
> strdup, but also variants people might guess, like apr_strdup,
> ap_strdup and ap_pstrdup.  That could IMO turn your contribution
> from a mere nice to something great!

That's what I was getting at, thanks for stating it more clearly.

The engine that doxygen replaced (lxr?) seemed to have this functionality, although it tended to return bad line numbers.

Re: What happened to the "Apache 2 cross reference"?

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
Rachel Willmer wrote:

> Try searching for apr_pstrdup, you'll get 154 matches.

Indeed.  But if you know the name of the function, you probably
have no need to search.

> But that's interesting, I hadn't realised that doxygen's search only
> does full-word matching. In which case, I'll probably replace it with
> another search facility soon which does partial searching too.

Aha!  For myself, I've always found reading the headers easier than
the docs generated from them.  That's using grep as a default search
tool, and others where appropriate.  I thought from your first post
and a brief look that you'd provided a fancy frontend, but I didn't
realise it was supposed to do more.

--
Nick Kew

Re: What happened to the "Apache 2 cross reference"?

Posted by Rachel Willmer <rw...@gmail.com>.
On 24/08/05, Brandon Fosdick <bf...@bfoz.net> wrote:
> Rachel Willmer wrote:
> That looks exactly the same as what's now linked from the developer docs page, with the addition of an advertisement banner.

That's exactly what it is, but with the search feature turned on. I
did this for my own benefit, since the online apache docs don't
provide a search.

Currently I'm using the search facility that's generated by doxygen,
which has so far been sufficient for everything I need.

Posted by Brandon Fosdick <bf...@bfoz.net>.

Posted by Rachel Willmer <rw...@gmail.com>.
Don't know about the cross-reference page, but if you're stuck, you
might find a useful substitute in the searchable doxygen docs I've
made available at
<http://www.hobthross.com/docs/apache2/srcdoc/main.html>

HTH
Rachel