Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Gmail Account <ma...@gmail.com> on 2006/12/06 02:59:13 UTC

Performance issue.

Sorry.. I put the wrong subject on my message. I also wanted to mention that
my cpu jumps to to almost 100% each query.

Re: Performance issue.

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.
Your snippet shows it as "text" not "string"
Try faceting on manu_exact and you may get better results.

-Yonil

Re: Performance issue.

Re: Performance issue.

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.

Re: Performance issue.

Re: Performance issue.

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.
On 12/5/06, Gmail Account <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > There's nothing wrong with CPU jumping to 100% each query, that just
> > means you aren't IO bound :-)
> What do you mean not IO bound?

There is always going to be a bottleneck somewhere.  In very large
indicies, the bottleneck may be waiting for IO (waiting for data to be
read from the disk).  If you are on a single processor system and you
aren't waiting for data to be read from the disk or the network, then
the request will be using close to 100% CPU, which is actually a good
thing.

The bad thing is how long the query takes, not the fact that it's CPU bound.

> > Don't do this unless you really know what you are doing... Luke is
> > probably using a different version of Lucene than Solr, and it could
> > be dangerous.
> Do you think I should reindex everything?

That would be the safest thing to do.

> > - if you are using filters, any larger than 3000 will be double the
> > size (maxDoc bits)
> What do you mean larger than 3000? 3000 what and how do I tell?

>From solrconfig.xml:
    <!-- This entry enables an int hash representation for filters (DocSets)
         when the number of items in the set is less than maxSize.  For smaller
         sets, this representation is more memory efficient, more efficient to

Re: Performance issue.

Posted by Gmail Account <ma...@gmail.com>.
> There's nothing wrong with CPU jumping to 100% each query, that just
> means you aren't IO bound :-)
What do you mean not IO bound?

>> >    - I did an optimize index through Luke with compound format and
>> > noticed
>> > in the solrconfig file that useCompoundFile is set to false.
>
> Don't do this unless you really know what you are doing... Luke is
> probably using a different version of Lucene than Solr, and it could
> be dangerous.
Do you think I should reindex everything?

> - if you are using filters, any larger than 3000 will be double the
> size (maxDoc bits)
What do you mean larger than 3000? 3000 what and how do I tell?

> Can you give some examples of what your queries look like?
I will get this and send it.

Thanks,
Yonik

Re: Performance issue.

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.
On 12/5/06, Gmail Account <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry.. I put the wrong subject on my message. I also wanted to mention that
> my cpu jumps to to almost 100% each query.

There's nothing wrong with CPU jumping to 100% each query, that just
means you aren't IO bound :-)

It's the 3 seconds that are the problem.

> > I'm having slow performance with my solr index. I'm not sure what to do. I
> > need some suggestions on what to try. I have updated all my records in the
> > last couple of days. I'm not sure how much it degraded because of that,
> > but it now takes about 3 seconds per search.

> >    - I did an optimize index through Luke with compound format and noticed
> > in the solrconfig file that useCompoundFile is set to false.

Don't do this unless you really know what you are doing... Luke is
probably using a different version of Lucene than Solr, and it could
be dangerous.

> > numDocs : 1185814
> > maxDoc : 2070472

Your index isn't optmized... you can see that by the difference
between maxDoc and numDocs (which represent deleted documents still in
the index).  This will slow things down in several ways.
 - Since you only have 2GB of RAM on your PC, the larger index files
means less effective OS level caching
 - if you are using filters, any larger than 3000 will be double the
size (maxDoc bits)
 - lowest level lucene search functions iterate over all documents for
a given term, even if they are deleted (they are filtered out by
consulting a bitvector of deleted docs)

Do an optimize of the index via Solr (use your "commit" command as a
template, but substitute "optimize").

> My cache statistics don't
> > look so good either.

Ouch... the filterCache doesn't look good.
Are you using faceted browsing?  It looks like the number of terms in
the field you are faceting by is larger than the number of items the
filterCache can hold... which means a 0% cache hit rate w/ a LRU
cache.

Can you give some examples of what your queries look like?

Depending on the size of the corpus and what faceted queries you want
to run, you may need more than 2GB of ram for faster queries.  If you
always keep the index optimized, this will lower the size of some of
the filters and allow you to increase the number of cached filters at
least.

> >    - I changed one of the fields in the schema from text_ws to string

OK, as long as you re-indexed.

> >    - I added a field (type="text" indexed="false" stored="true")

OK

-Yonik