Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Zheng Yu Chen <ja...@gmail.com> on 2022/11/22 03:39:50 UTC

FRocksDB Some Question

Hi community, I want to ask a question about frocksdb

I noticed that frocksdb seems to have been inactive for a long time.
flink-statebackend-rocksdb is depend https://github.com/ververica/frocksdb
to run state backend
This Rocksdb is stuck at 6.20.3.But the current upstream version
https://github.com/facebook/rocksdb is already at 7.7.3.As the basic state
backend of Flink, this part
seems to be ignored by people (although users cannot directly perceive it)

I don't know how often this library is maintained and updated and the
differences between them and Rocksdb. It would be best if there are
relevant documents to tell me

If the community is willing to upgrade this underlying component, I am
willing to assist in this work as one of the volunteers.
At the same time, I would like to ask if there is any chance for this
project to be moved to the Apache Flink sub-project to allow more people to
participate?

--
Best

ConradJam

Re: FRocksDB Some Question

Posted by Yun Tang <my...@live.com>.
Hi ConradJam,

Thanks for taking a look at the FRocksDB project.

From my point of view, the reasons why Flink community would not upgrade the FRocksDB too frequently are mainly due to:

  1.  We have suffered from the performance regression of new versions of RocksDB compared with current versions[1]. Unfortunately, the RocksDB community (or we can say the RocksDB team at Meta Inc) does not have clear benchmark testing when releasing the new version each time. I spent some time to figure out why RocksDB-6.20.x behaves worse than RocksDB-5.17, however, we just found one major performance regression reason [2] and cannot advance more. That's why Flink community launches an ANNOUNCE of this problem [3].
  2.  Releasing RocksDB-java binaries is really a bit complicated as RocksDB has supported more and more platforms (linux32/64, windows, apple silicon, arm, ppc64, s390). However, we don't have so many environments to release these binaries within one jar package. We even considered launching discussions to drop some platform support.

Thus, if we don't have strong demands, we would not upgrade the FRocksDB too frequently. BTW, we aim to make the FRocksDB could run on Apple silicon chips in Flink-1.17 [4]

Last but not least, RocksDB actually has an apache-2.0 license. Apart from the possible license problem, FRocksDB [5] was created in 2019, in which the community does have so many Flink sub-projects yet.

[3] https://lists.apache.org/thread/v9w4dm6wdqgn5b6jqjdrzfycxsdh38vj

Best
Yun Tang

________________________________