Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Andrus Adamchik <aa...@apache.org> on 2010/11/17 20:21:45 UTC

[VOTE] cayenne-3.1M1

http://people.apache.org/~aadamchik/release/3.1M1/

Re: [VOTE] cayenne-3.1M1

Posted by Tore Halset <ha...@pvv.ntnu.no>.
+1

Downloaded, tested in our system. Here are the things I had to change in our system:
 * Upgraded my own DataSourceFactory implementation. Now even simpler than before.
 * Switching to ServerRuntime runtime = new ServerRuntime("cayenne-mydomain.xml");. Nice!
 * One of our CayenneDataObject subclasses had a custom equals(Object) method that did not check for the class type. This caused a ClassCastException during a commitChanges of some deletes. Not a problem since this was a bug in our code. Here is the stacktrace:
java.lang.ClassCastException: data.Y cannot be cast to data.X
       at data.X.equals(X.java:144)
       at java.util.ArrayList.remove(ArrayList.java:423)
       at org.apache.cayenne.DataChannelSyncCallbackAction.nodeRemoved(DataChannelSyncCallbackAction.java:122)
       at org.apache.cayenne.graph.NodeDeleteOperation.apply(NodeDeleteOperation.java:37)
       at org.apache.cayenne.graph.CompoundDiff.apply(CompoundDiff.java:91)
       at org.apache.cayenne.access.ObjectStoreGraphDiff.apply(ObjectStoreGraphDiff.java:134)
       at org.apache.cayenne.DataChannelSyncCallbackAction.<init>(DataChannelSyncCallbackAction.java:74)
       at org.apache.cayenne.DataChannelSyncCallbackAction$FlushCallbackAction.<init>(DataChannelSyncCallbackAction.java:173)
       at org.apache.cayenne.DataChannelSyncCallbackAction.getCallbackAction(DataChannelSyncCallbackAction.java:51)
       at org.apache.cayenne.access.DataDomain.onSync(DataDomain.java:749)
       at org.apache.cayenne.access.DataContext.flushToParent(DataContext.java:850)
       at org.apache.cayenne.access.DataContext.commitChanges(DataContext.java:789)

Regards,
 - Tore.

Re: [VOTE] cayenne-3.1M1

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
Release is published, download page updated. Should be visible on the site shortly.

Andrus

Re: [VOTE] cayenne-3.1M1

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Re: [VOTE] cayenne-3.1M1

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.
On 18/11/10 6:21 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
> http://people.apache.org/~aadamchik/release/3.1M1/

+1.

Code quality:
* Ran tests on OSX 10.6.5 with current Apple Java: PASSED
* Modeler under OSX runs and opens complex model (it forgets previously opened files as would be expected). I did not have multiple data domains.
* Unfortunately haven't had time for more in depth testing

Release package:
* All looks good

Source package:
* All looks good

I think this is a good time to expose the significant changes in M1 to a wider audience. There is quite a bit in there already.

Ari

--
-------------------------->
Aristedes Maniatis

Upgrade procedure

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
(changing topic to keep it separate from the vote)

On Nov 22, 2010, at 5:09 PM, Michael Gentry wrote:
> The one big issue I had was after I downloaded the DMG, the first
> thing I did was run the new CayenneModeler and pointed it at my
> current project file.  This, of course, does an in-place upgrade.  I
> had to go to my backups to restore the old project file since it was
> pretty different.  It isn't very clear that your cayenne.xml file goes
> away or that it upgrades and saves immediately.  Even the UPGRADE.txt
> doesn't quite make it clear (but no one is going to read that
> immediately would be my guess).  I'm mainly mentioning this because
> this is a milestone release and most people might be willing to try it
> on an existing project for a test, but not realize it could be a tad
> destructive when they go back to 3.0.

Yeah, I think we need a Jira to improve CM project upgrade to not save a project on upgrade until a user clicks save explicitly. The way it works right now is the way we always did upgrades (which is not to say it is right). I guess I never cared myself that much, as all my projects are under version control, even if it is a local git checkin.

> Also, the UPGRADE.txt specifies:
>
>  ServerRuntime runtime = new ServerRuntime("cayenne-UntitledDomain.xml");
>
>  To obtain a new ObjectContext, the following API is used:
>
>  ObjectContext context = cayenneRuntime.getContext();
>

> The variables "runtime" and "cayenneRuntime" should be changed to be
> consistent, I think.

Good catch thanks.

Andrus

Re: [VOTE] cayenne-3.1M1

Posted by Michael Gentry <mg...@masslight.net>.
+1

Code built with test cases running.  Diff of OS X DMG with built
sources mostly checked out (AutoAdapter.class had a difference,
though).  Signatures match.

[...]

Thanks,

mrg

Re: [VOTE] cayenne-3.1M1

Posted by Michael Gentry <mg...@masslight.net>.
I'll try to look at this over the weekend.

Thanks!