Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rolf Schumacher <ma...@august.de> on 2006/04/30 08:27:30 UTC

using ant to start a servelet failed

... with the error

Server returned HTTP response code: 401 for URL:
http://rolf2/manager/start?path=%2Fde.august.docvet1

this is ant's build.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
  <target name="start" depends="update">
      <taskdef name="start" classname="org.apache.catalina.ant.StartTask"/>
      <start path="/de.august.docvet1" username="admin"
password=".mypwd." url="http://localhost/manager"/>
  </target>

Why does StartTask substitute "/" by "%2F" or: why does manager not
recognize "%2F" as the root for web applications?

Rolf

Re: using ant to start a servelet failed

Posted by Rolf Schumacher <ma...@august.de>.
Mark Thomas wrote:
> Rolf Schumacher wrote:
>
>>  <target name="start" depends="update">
>>      <taskdef name="start" classname="org.apache.catalina.ant.StartTask"/>
>>      <start path="/de.august.docvet1" username="admin"
>> password=".mypwd." url="http://localhost/manager"/>
>>  </target>
>>

> You should be starting a web application, not an individual servlet.

Thanks for your answer, Mark. It was more simple than that:
I just typed the password wrong (took me a long time to find that bit).

I was misled  by  the  %2F in the log file.
By setting up a test that directly calls ANTs task:

It worked this way:

            StartTask start = new StartTask();
            start.setUsername( "admin" );
            start.setPassword( "+mypwd+" );
            start.setUrl( "http://localhost/manager" );
            start.execute( "/start?path=%2F" + this.webapp );

and with

            start.execute( "/start?path=/" + this.webapp );

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Rolf Schumacher wrote:
>  <target name="start" depends="update">
>      <taskdef name="start" classname="org.apache.catalina.ant.StartTask"/>
>      <start path="/de.august.docvet1" username="admin"
> password=".mypwd." url="http://localhost/manager"/>
>  </target>

You should be starting a web application, not an individual servlet.

Mark