Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Om <bi...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/13 07:33:49 UTC

Finishing the Git migration - Update

> Alright, so this is the final list I am going to add to the JIRA ticket:

>  >

>>> read/write
>>> >
>>> Process-wise, they may require that we verify the contents of each of
>>> these
>>> "projects" before we get write access.
>>>

>> Okay, I will wait to ask for read/write access until after we agree that
>> everything looks good.  I will ask for these new repos to be added in the
>> meantime.
>>

>>> Do we know if by "PMC approval" we need to have an official vote?
>>>

>> I would go for lazy consensus if no one has objections.
>>

> Infra says that there is no need for an official vote.
>

>> Thanks,
>> Om

A quick update.  I had updated the JIRA ticket earlier today.  I have not
heard back from Infra yet.  I have pinged them again stressing the need for
urgency.

>From our side, can we all take a look at the projects that have already
been moved?   These are the projects in question:

Falcon:
svn:  http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/flex/falcon/
git: https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=flex-falcon.git

SDK:
svn: http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/flex/sdk/
git: https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=flex-sdk.git

TLF:
svn: http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/flex/tlf/
git: https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=flex-tlf.git

Utilities:
svn: http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/flex/utilities/
git: https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=flex-utilities.git

Re: Finishing the Git migration - Update

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 12:59 PM, Jose Barragan <
jose.barragan@codeoscopic.com> wrote:

> I would opt for SmartGit as standalone tool, since TortoiseGit implies
> intimate and dependent integration with Windows Explorer, which is not very
> stable combination.

Sorry, but I disagree.  I have had absolutely no problems with the
integrated approach.  In fact, that is what makes it a better tool, IMHO.

Moreover, folks who have used TortoiseSVN will find themselves at home with
TortoiseGit.

Thanks,
Om

Posted by Jose Barragan <jo...@codeoscopic.com>.

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
TortoiseGIT rocks :-)

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
Ok, I don't think we've got the thing for windows except with git bash

.-Fred

> Not sure it helps but if you're talking about directory/file completion
Thanks, but I was referring to the git commands, branch names, remotes,
etc.: labels related to Git and the Git repo. Directory/file completion
works fine.
There is a Git tab completion package in Cygwin, but I installed it once
and it simply crashed my Cygwin; had to remove it.
It's not much of an inconvenience anyway: I configured some aliasses to
avoid typing long commands.
max

Re: Finishing the Git migration - Update

Posted by RIAstar <ma...@riastar.net>.

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
> But I couldn't get tab completion to work for the git commands

Not sure it helps but if you're talking about directory/file completion, it
works for me using windows git on Cygwin, I can't remember how it worked
with *nix.

-Fred

On the command line, I use Cygwin which is easier because I use a lot of
other command line tools there.
But I couldn't get tab completion to work for the git commands. These do
work as expected in Msysgit.

Also, if you're an IntelliJ user: their Git integration is very, very good.
Though you have to jump through a few hoops if you want to combine with
the Cygwin approach:
on Windows IntelliJ will target the git .exe file, whereas Cygwin uses
the *nix implementation of Git.

Max

Re: Finishing the Git migration - Update

Posted by Gordon Smith <go...@adobe.com>.
I installed git for Cygwin and tried

    git clone https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/flex-sdk.git

I get

error: error setting certificate verify locations:
  CAfile: /usr/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt
  CApath: none while accessing http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/ask/flex-sdk.git/info/refs
fatal: HTTP request failed

Can anybody explain what additional setup I need to do?

- Gordon

If you like command line, I would recommand going thru Cygwin because you'll be able to choose your editor which I never been able to do on git command line for windows but at the moment I'm not using it from Cygwin but from the command line (git-scm.com), I installed tortoiseGit too and SmartGit which is every handy to use.

-Fred

Posted by "Michael A. Labriola" <la...@digitalprimates.net>.
>Nevermind... I got the answer from Google. I needed to also install ca-certificates into Cygwin.

Gordon,

Side note. If you use git bash, which comes as part of the git for windows package (which I am assuming you are on hence the Cygwin) you can actually do all of the things that you needed Cygwin for before in here and have the simple git integration.

Just how I have managed things for a couple of years and it works well,
Mike

RE: Finishing the Git migration - Update

Posted by Gordon Smith <go...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Kessler CTR Mark J <ma...@usmc.mil>.
I took someone else's advice and used TortoiseGit [1] in Windows.  It integrates into the windows context menus, giving you the ability to right click on folders or files to use GIT commands.  I did however turn off its icon changing features.

[1] http://code.google.com/p/tortoisegit/

Posted by Lee Burrows <su...@leeburrows.com>.
i just use git for windows (http://windows.github.com/) - its good
enough for 99% of what i need

--
Lee Burrows
ActionScripter

RE: Finishing the Git migration - Update

Posted by Gordon Smith <go...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
And when I said Eric I mean Erik - sorry about that Erik.

Re: Finishing the Git migration - Update

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> You and your fancy commands :-)
When I started using computers a green 80x24 terminal was all you had :-)

>  I did see a couple of mis-matches related to file
> endings, though.  Not sure if MD5 takes that into account.
It should but I didn't see any - a little odd.

Justin

Re: Finishing the Git migration - Update

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Mar 13, 2013 1:23 AM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> More encouraging is that I've did a MD5 check on every single file in the
Flex SDK SVN repo vs the Flex SDK Git repo (develop branches) and there's
no differences (other than TLF).

> Combination of commands:
> find <svn repo path> -exec md5 "{}" \; > MD5svn.txt
> find <git repo path> -exec md5 "{}" \; > MD5git.txt
> cat MD5svn.txt | grep -v ".*\.svn.*" > MD5modsvn.txt
> cat MD5git.txt | grep -v ".*\.git.*" > MD5modgit.txt
> diff MD5modsvn.txt MD5modgit.txt
>
> Justin

You and your fancy commands :-)  I just used ExamDiff to do a folder diff
to do the same thing.  I did see a couple of mis-matches related to file

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Thanks to Eric I've seem to found the history of tag and branches issue. [1]

"Obviously, SVN is not Git. During the process of cloning a Git repository from the SVN repository, commits for tags and branches can get a bit confused. Each project is responsible for providing a list of ref updates that they would like to have applied to their repository before accepting it as writable."

So does one of the committers who voted for Git want to prepare this (I'm not even sure what they are asking for here):

Updates should be specified in a three column format of:
oldsha newsha ref-name

I'm mostly out of action for the next 2 days (at a conference which I'm speaking at) and over the weekend.

Thanks,
Justin

1.https://git-wip-us.apache.org/docs/switching-to-git.html

Re: Finishing the Git migration - Update

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 12:01 AM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've had a brief look at SDK, TLF and Utilities git hubs. There are some
> issues.
>
> There an issue in how TLF is used by SDK (was a snv:external)  but I don't
> know what we can do about it.
>
> It also seems that the log/history has been dropped on the develop branch
> as it only goes back to 5 Jan.

It looks like all on develop, the history before we became a TLP (i.e. when
we were incubating) is gone.  I will add this issue to the JIRA ticket.

> The history of the master branch may be missing some info as the log is a
> lot shorter that the released 4.9 tag - that doesn't seem right to me.

Ha, you forgot the 4.9.1 tag.  This tag's history matches that of the
master.

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
I can confirm the following Falcon projects:

- compiler
- compiler.jx
- compiler.jx.tests

That leaves:

- compiler.js
- compiler.tests

for someone who knows a lot more about these projects.

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: Finishing the Git migration - Update

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
Well I know it's not good already because InstallApacheFlex project goes
back to the 17/07/2012 (fr date) in svn, I write something on the jira
ticket [1]

-Fred

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-5549#comment-13601011

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
The utilities git history goes back to the 15 aug 2012, someone can confirm
it's good or not  (I can't check by myself as utilities is not my svn root)
?

-Fred

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
Utilities:

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 11:48 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Do we know what happens to the git hub mirrors?
>
> Justin

Not sure.  I will ask Infra once they finish the migration.  I dont want to
sidetrack them at this point :-)

Re: Finishing the Git migration - Update

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,