Posted to users@archiva.apache.org by Erwin Mueller <er...@deventm.org> on 2012/05/29 10:18:17 UTC

Limit memory usage for Archiva

Hello,
how can I limit the memory usage for Archiva? I have only a 512MB RAM server
available, and Archiva is using 50% of the RAM.

I like to know how to set a hard limit on the RAM available for Archiva and
tips how I can minimize the RAM usage of Archiva.

I thought that the wrapper.conf can set a hard limit, but it's not working
(Archiva is using 514M virtual and 254M resources, but the limit is set to
256M). I added/changed in wrapper.conf:

wrapper.java.additional.7=-Xms256m
wrapper.java.additional.8=-Xmx256m
wrapper.java.initmemory=256
wrapper.java.maxmemory=256

Kind regards,
Erwin.

--
Erwin Mueller
http://www.mueller-public.de - My site;

Re: Limit memory usage for Archiva

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 30/05/2012, at 1:03 PM, Erwin Mueller wrote:

> Thank you for your answers,
>
> So trimming down of Archiva is not an option? Is all indexing done in memory? I would think that the index is saved on disk and loaded on demand?

The indexing is done incrementally, but a full scan or frequent uploads does create a queue that will consume memory for a period of time, as do individual requests. If you have low traffic, you can probably get away with less and reduce the heap size, but the lower you go there's a chance that garbage collection will slow down normal operation. You can look at the system status page to see if your memory use is reaching the limit. You can still trim it down using the techniques I've described as well.

- Brett

--
Brett Porter
brett@apache.org