Posted to dev@avro.apache.org by Ismaël Mejía <ie...@gmail.com> on 2018/12/12 10:29:47 UTC

Overtesting Java Avro?

Hello,

While working in some build improvements for Avro I noticed that ALL
the modules of Avro execute the tests twice, once normally and once
with the system property
“org.apache.avro.specific.use_custom_coders=true”. Is this really
necessary in all modules or if we just do this for avro-core (aka
lang/java/avro) will we be covered?

I can provide a quick fix PR to do this if the latter makes sense.

Regards,
Ismaël

Re: Overtesting Java Avro?

Posted by "Driesprong, Fokko" <fo...@driesprong.frl>.
Good point Ismaël,

I also noticed it. I don't know why we run the tests twice. The main
question is if the custom_ encoder hits other branches of the code. Maybe
check this using the code coverage? I'm all in for making the tests simpler.

Cheers, Fokko

Op wo 12 dec. 2018 om 11:30 schreef Ismaël Mejía <ie...@gmail.com>