Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by RYAN vAN GINNEKEN <lu...@computerking.ca> on 2006/03/08 05:22:43 UTC

[users@httpd] CNAME and A records not working?

Been rackin my brain on this one

I have a vhost in apache called host1.com it have a serveralias of
www.host1.com.  I used to use a DNS CNAME for the www.host1.com and then
create another virtual host for that too.  So i had 2 virtual host
containers for almost every site seems a bit cleaner and more sensible
to just omit the CNAME in DNS and add a serveralias in apache.  This
save me the bother of maintaining another entire virtual host container
for each site.  Is one more correct than the other  they both seem to
work ok but it is kinda confusing.  Note host1.com and www.host1.com
point to the same server and the same content all  work well.

Anyway here is my problem There is also another record in my DNS named
mail.host1.com it points to a different vhost named www.mail.portal.org
also on the same  server.  I am using www.mail.portal.org as a email
portal for several sites so i added CNAMES to the DNS for these sites
like so

mail.host1.com    IN CNAME     www.mail.portal.com

this does not seem to work  so i tried an A record

mail.host1.com   IN A    123.123.123.123

this does not seem to work either apache seems to pick up the connection
but it takes me to the first virtual host listed in the httpd.conf file
host.com.  I need apache to accept the connection and redirect me
www.mail.portal.com.  Why doenst this work i have a similar setup on a
different server and i works fine with CNAMES could it be the
serveralias thingy as i do not use it on the other server the one that
works.