Posted to solr-dev@lucene.apache.org by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org> on 2009/09/16 01:31:56 UTC

distinct example for Solr Cell?

I remember a discussion about removing the /update/extract handler from
./example/solr/conf/solrconfig.xml so that we could stop copying all the
jars into ./example/solr/lib/ and have a smaller, simpler, example.  The
idea being that then there would be a seperate distinct set of configs
providing an example of the extraction handler (with all of it's jars)

Did that plan change?  should there be a bug open against 1.4 to track
making those changes?

-Hoss

Re: distinct example for Solr Cell?

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.
On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 2:56 PM, Chris Hostetter
<ho...@fucit.org> wrote:
> : If it's an example with all of it's jars, it seems like it's still a
> : copy of all those jars, right?
>
> correct -- either way *we* have to make a copy of those jars somewhere
> in the release in order to demo Solr Cell.

We could do it like how I changed the clustering component to work...
it no longer copies jars (but we do copy config around then):
$ cd example
$ java -Dsolr.solr.home=../contrib/clustering/example -jar start.jar

That would shave off 30MB from the download.

> My point is that right now anyone who downloads a release, and makes a
> copy of "example/solr" to use as a set of starting configs (which is
> what we frequently advocate) winds up with a really *huge* solr home dir
> right off the bat because of all the extraction libs -- and extraction
> isn't exactly a "core" feature that everyon is going to want, so it
> doesn't really seem appropriate to provide it in the main example.
>
> If the main example was a kitchen sink example showing off *everything*
> and there was another "skeleton" exampel that would be fine ... but we've
> already gutted a bunch of cool stuff from example/solr in the interest of
> makining it "svelt" so this seems contradictory.

My main concerns with the explosion of the example directory was more
one of complexity, not size.
A person looking through that directory may have a difficult time
telling what is what.  It started off as one logical server, but
morphed into multiple.

A single server that had more capabilities out of the box (but didn't
use resources if you didn't use those features) seems desirable to me.
 If it weren't for the extra 30MB download size, I'd probably argue
for keeping SolrCell in the example server... but I think I'm leaning
toward trying to configure it like the clustering example.

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com

Re: distinct example for Solr Cell?

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: I don't recall that...  I did make the extract handler lazy such that
: one could easily remove all of the tika jars from the example w/o
: triggering an exception.  We should look into updating the example

Ah.... ok, I missunderstood.

: We should certainly strive for simplicity, but that can go either
: way... I like the "batteries included" mentality of python too.

agreed, but that goes back to that "have lots of examples, one really
simple, many featuring differnet things, and one kitchen sink showing
everything integrated together.

BUt making that work without having a jar explosion requires lib refs
which we haven't gotten arround to yet.

:

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.
On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 7:31 PM, Chris Hostetter
<ho...@fucit.org> wrote:
> I remember a discussion about removing the /update/extract handler from
> ./example/solr/conf/solrconfig.xml so that we could stop copying all the
> jars into ./example/solr/lib/ and have a smaller, simpler, example.

I don't recall that...  I did make the extract handler lazy such that
one could easily remove all of the tika jars from the example w/o
triggering an exception.  We should look into updating the example
README at a minimum.

We should certainly strive for simplicity, but that can go either
way... I like the "batteries included" mentality of python too.

Future idea:
 - make "example" slightly more formal by naming it "server"
 - make server/solr/lib the home for some of these jars (preferably
separated by sub-directory) and make compilation and tests go against
these jars

That would keep the "server" dir self contained (no outside references
- copy it somewhere else to deploy), make our download smaller, and
eliminate the copying around of libs.

> The
> idea being that then there would be a seperate distinct set of configs
> providing an example of the extraction handler (with all of it's jars)

If it's an example with all of it's jars, it seems like it's still a
copy of all those jars, right?
Or, we could put the example in contrib/extracting and make it such
that the code and example server shared the libraries?

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Sep 15, 2009, at 7:31 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:

> I remember a discussion about removing the /update/extract handler
> from ./example/solr/conf/solrconfig.xml so that we could stop
> copying all the jars into ./example/solr/lib/ and have a smaller,
> simpler, example.  The idea being that then there would be a
> seperate distinct set of configs providing an example of the
> extraction handler (with all of it's jars)
>
> Did that plan change?  should there be a bug open against 1.4 to
> track making those changes?

I think we decided to fold them in.