Posted to users@jena.apache.org by "Woodward, Arthur E CTR (US)" <ar...@mail.mil> on 2016/04/12 20:05:08 UTC

RE: FW: [Non-DoD Source] Fuseki issue - Reasoner over Unioned Graph

Sure, forwarding the message to the users list again.

Hello Users,

I have been having difficulty finding a solution to the problem of building a modular system for ontological query expansion in Fuseki.

My goal is to be able to run a query over a unionized default graph, while maintaining the ability to edit the individual named graphs either from the same dataset or a different dataset.

I have tried many variations of the Fuseki assembler, and after combing through the documentation and previous e-mails I believe I have constructed an assembler specification that should be working, but it is not. From an e-mail by Rohana Rajapakse on Jan 24, 2014 1:52 am it was indicated that a structure like the one in my file below should allow for an inference engine to be run over a unionized default graph.

Data added via Fuseki GUI::
DID NOT WORK
Dataset -- Data
Graphs -- default -- (empty, with unionDefaultGraph:true in the Data.ttl and Reasoner.ttl assembler files)
              Entities --
                            @prefix ex:    <http://example.org/>.
                            @prefix owl:   <http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#> .
                            @prefix rdf:   <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#> .
                            @prefix rdfs:  <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#> .
                            @prefix zoo:   <http://example.org/zoo/>.

                            ex:dog1  a      ex:animal .
                            ex:cat1  a      ex:cat .
                            ex:zoo1  zoo:host  ex:cat2 .
                            ex:cat3  owl:sameAs  ex:cat2 .

            Ontology --
                            @prefix ex:    <http://example.org/>.
                            @prefix owl:   <http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#> .
                            @prefix rdf:   <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#> .
                            @prefix rdfs:  <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#> .
                            @prefix zoo:   <http://example.org/zoo/>.

                            ex:cat  rdfs:subClassOf  ex:animal .
                            zoo:host  rdfs:range  ex:animal .
Dataset -- Reasoner
            default - (no manually entered data)

Query -- Run over the Reasoner Dataset
PREFIX ex: <http://example.org/>
PREFIX owl: <http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#>
PREFIX rdf: <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#>
PREFIX xsd: <http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#>
PREFIX : <http://localhost:3030/Test/data/>
PREFIX http: <http://www.w3.org/2011/http#>
SELECT ?animal
WHERE {
  ?animal a ex:animal .
}
LIMIT 10

0 Results.

If the data in the "Data" dataset is moved from the named graphs to the default graph and the unionDefaultGraph:true option is commented out from the Data.ttl file, and the same query above is run, there are 4 results.
{
  "head": {
    "vars": [ "animal" ]
  } ,
  "results": {
    "bindings": [
      {
        "animal": { "type": "uri" , "value": "http://example.org/dog1" }
      } ,
      {
        "animal": { "type": "uri" , "value": "http://example.org/cat1" }
      } ,
      {
        "animal": { "type": "uri" , "value": "http://example.org/cat2" }
      } ,
      {
        "animal": { "type": "uri" , "value": "http://example.org/cat3" }
      }
    ]
  }
}

Data.ttl::
      1 @prefix :      <http://base/#> .
      2 @prefix tdb:   <http://jena.hpl.hp.com/2008/tdb#> .
      3 @prefix rdf:   <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#> .
      4 @prefix ja:    <http://jena.hpl.hp.com/2005/11/Assembler#> .
      5 @prefix rdfs:  <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#> .
      6 @prefix fuseki: <http://jena.apache.org/fuseki#> .
      7
      8 :service_tdb_all  a                   fuseki:Service ;
      9         rdfs:label                    "TDB Data" ;
     10         fuseki:dataset                :tdb_dataset_readwrite ;
     11         fuseki:name                   "Data" ;
     12         fuseki:serviceQuery           "query" , "sparql" ;
     13         fuseki:serviceReadGraphStore  "get" ;
     14         fuseki:serviceReadWriteGraphStore
     15                 "data" ;
     16         fuseki:serviceUpdate          "update" ;
     17         fuseki:serviceUpload          "upload" .
     18
     19 :tdb_dataset_readwrite
     20         a             tdb:DatasetTDB ;
     21         tdb:location  "/home/evan/Documents/apache-jena-fuseki-2.3.1/run/databases/Data" ;
     22        tdb:unionDefaultGraph true ;
     23         .
     24

Reasoner.ttl::
@prefix :      <http://base/#> .
      2 @prefix tdb:   <http://jena.hpl.hp.com/2008/tdb#> .
      3 @prefix rdf:   <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#> .
      4 @prefix ja:    <http://jena.hpl.hp.com/2005/11/Assembler#> .
      5 @prefix rdfs:  <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#> .
      6 @prefix fuseki: <http://jena.apache.org/fuseki#> .
      7
      8 :service1  a                          fuseki:Service ;
      9         fuseki:dataset                :tdb_dataset_readwrite ;
     10         fuseki:name                   "Reasoner" ;
     11         fuseki:serviceQuery           "query" , "sparql" ;
     12         fuseki:serviceReadGraphStore  "get" ;
     13         fuseki:serviceReadWriteGraphStore
     14                 "data" ;
     15         fuseki:serviceUpdate          "update" ;
     16         fuseki:serviceUpload          "upload" .
     17
     18 tdb:GraphTDB rdfs:subClassOf ja:Model .
     19 tdb:DatasetTDB rdfs:subClassOf ja:RDFDataset .
     20
     21 :tdb_dataset_readwrite  a          ja:RDFDataset ;
     22         ja:defaultGraph :model2 ;
     23         ja:namedGraph
     24            [ ja:graphName "Data" ;
     25              ja:graph     :graph ] ;
     26         .
     27
     28 :tdb_intermediate_dataset a tdb:DatasetTDB ;
     29     tdb:location "/home/evan/Documents/apache-jena-fuseki-2.3.1/run/databases/Data";
     30     tdb:unionDefaultGraph true ;
     31     .
     32
     33 :graph rdf:type tdb:GraphTDB ;
     34     tdb:dataset :tdb_intermediate_dataset
     35     .
     36
     37 :model2 a ja:InfModel ;
     38         ja:reasoner  [ ja:reasonerURL <http://jena.hpl.hp.com/2003/OWLFBRuleReasoner>] ;
     39         ja:baseModel :graph ;
     40         .
     41
     42

What I have found is that if data is entered into the default graph in the "Data" dataset without the unionDefaultGraph option, this "Reasoner" dataset (above) will find the information and perform inferences over it. However, if the data is instead entered into two named graphs, with the unionDefaultGraph:true option selected, the "Reasoner" dataset is unable to find the information in "Data". Additionally, the "Reasoner" dataset has no access to read or write to the "Data" dataset, which is why I set up a separate end-point to be able to manipulate the data in "Data".

The goal of this experiment is to be able to run different Owl ontologies over the same entity data, so ideally there would be a way to create a unionized graph from two named graphs in "Data" and query time, and then run the inference engine over this graph. So my questions are,

1) Is there a way to create a unionized graph at query time? If yes, is there a way to run an inference engine over this query-time-created unionized graph?

2) If the above is not an option, is there a way have an inference engine run over the unionized default graph from a set of named graphs?

If you have any questions or need more information please feel free to reach out to me at any time.

Thank you for your help,
Evan Woodward

Please could you re-send the message so that you receive replies.

     Andy

Posted by Dave Reynolds <da...@gmail.com>.
On 14/04/16 17:47, Andy Seaborne wrote:
>>> 1) Is there a way to create a unionized graph at query time? If
>>> yes,is there a way to run an inference engine over this query-
>  >> time-created unionized graph?
>
> I think one of the problems is that the "forward" part of the reasoning
> is going execute once when the graph is created as the server starts and
> then update only if data goes through the reasoner.

Actually, it'll only be triggered by the first query. But that first
query will invoke a prepare() on the InfGraph which will indeed run all
the forward rules.

> Just updating via a
> different route, direct to the named graph, bypasses the reasoner to
> trigger changes.

Exactly.

> A pure backward rules reasoner will do the calculations art query time
> except for any caching it might do (tabling).  That will at least not do
> any work until the first query.

> Dave knows more about this than I do.

Sorry to have missed this question. I took it to be a question about
assemblers which I don't understand :)

> Ideas:
>
> 1/ Load the graphs with data first , then run the server so the data is
> in place when the server starts.
>
> 2/ Run one named graph and have an associated named graph with the
> reasoner of choice.
>

>>> 2) If the above is not an option, is there a way have an inference
>  >> engine run over the unionized default graph from a set of named
>  >> graphs?
>
> I don't know if several different reasoners on the same data will work.
>   I suspect updates have to go through a reasoner to trigger
> recalulation of reasoner datastructures.  Only fully backwards seems to
> be able to not need that but I don't know the details.

You can have separate InfGraphs over the same base graph. Nothing is
written back to the base graph, all the inferences and intermediate
state are in memory associated with each InfGraph. But as Andy says, if
there are forward rules then the updates have to made via the InfGraph
which is hard if there's several of them.

It seems like you have two problems to deal with - how to create a
dynamic union over some subset of the graphs, then how to set up a
reasoner over that union where you can control the state.

For the first part of the problem then the reasoners are simply not
dataset-aware so there's no option to configure them to work over some
subset of named graphs. In code you can create dynamic union models then
create a reasoner over that union but that's more than just an assembler
config. In any case reasoner performance over a persistent model can be
poor.

For the second part of the problem you either need to work with just
backward rules (with no tabling (= caching) so no state) or you have to
call reset() on the InfModels after an edit, that will mean that the
next query will re-consult the base models. Again that needs code.

The other alternative is for someone to write a new reasoner - one
that's data set aware and works by query rewriting without state - but
I'm not aware of such a thing for Jena.

Dave

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
>> 1) Is there a way to create a unionized graph at query time? If
>> yes,is there a way to run an inference engine over this query-
 >> time-created unionized graph?

I think one of the problems is that the "forward" part of the reasoning
is going execute once when the graph is created as the server starts and
then update only if data goes through the reasoner.  Just updating via a