Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by kegliuz <eg...@click2sell.eu> on 2009/04/10 17:57:56 UTC

Tomcat is not serving requests - but not crashed...

Hello guys,

We are running a Tomcat 5.5 version through proxy_ajp mode via a regular
Apache webserver.

Within last 2 weeks we had 2 strange downtimes of our system. Our
application is running on Tomcat 5.5.

************
1 CASE

One morning I woke up and noticed our website is down. I logged into the
server and checked for running processes.
The servers load was around 4% (while normally it's around 1%). I checked
Tomcat and it was still running, however, the webserver did not respond to
any queries. The browser was unable to load our website.

So I tried to restart Tomcat:
1) to stop the service
and then
2) start it.

When I ran a command: service tomcat stop - the Tomcat tried to shut down.
However it stopped responding... No status on command line, nothing. It
looked like the server halted. So I had to re-login to the server once again
and then again to run the same command to stop tomcat.

Tomcat started to respond only the 2nd time and it stopped.

Then I ran a command to start tomcat: service tomcat start
Tomcat did not start for the first time. Well, it started, however, it did
not respond.
So I had to stop it once again and then ran a start command once again to
get it up and running.
This time Tomcat started successfully and the application started to work.

However, the question is: who caused the problem with Tomcat not responding?
It did not crash, however, the web server was no functioning and unable to
process requests.

I checked our ping software's logs to see for a downtime and noticed that
downtime started to appear something like this:

5 minute intervals
down...
down...
OK!
OK!
down...
OK!
down...
down...
down...
down...
down...
until i finally restarted the server.

Tomcat did not fully crashed, however, it was not serving the requests.
*************
2 CASE
*************

This week I woke up again in the morning and I noticed that Tomcat is
serving everything really slow... It was taking 2 minutes or so to load the
website, however, this time it was serving (at least!).

I went to restart Tomcat and application this time again and got the same
issues as described in CASE 1. Not responding, etc.
I had to stop tomcat, relogin, stop it again, then start it, stop it and
finally start it again and it started working.

So my question: what should we do in order to find a reason what's causing
these Tomcat's downtimes? How to prevent them?
We tried checking all tomcats logs, etc. but did not find any real problems.

Please, help us to identify the problems so we could fix it... Any
suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

Sincerely,
Keglius

RE: Tomcat is not serving requests - but not crashed...

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: kegliuz [mailto:egidijus@click2sell.eu]
> Subject: Tomcat is not serving requests - but not crashed...
>
> So my question: what should we do in order to find a reason what's
> causing these Tomcat's downtimes?

What happens if you try accessing Tomcat directly?  (Assuming you have an HTTP connector configured.)

I'd first poke around the problematic JVM with JConsole.  You may find you're out of heap space, threads are deadlocked, one thread is in a loop, etc.  If the problems do appear to be heap related, turn on -verbose:gc and see what's happening (and when it's happening).  Make sure you have enough RAM to support the configured heap plus the rest of the process space; if you don't, you could be thrashing pages in and out.

 - Chuck

RE: Tomcat is not serving requests - but not crashed...

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Martin Gainty [mailto:mgainty@hotmail.com]
> Subject: RE: Tomcat is not serving requests - but not crashed...
>
> Please configure Tomcat for logging and restart TC
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/logging.html

Note that Tomcat is *always* configured for some level of logging; the above link is primarily for when you want to use a different form of logging.

If you want to change the logging levels, simply update conf/logging.properties; do not rebuild Tomcat.

 - Chuck

RE: Tomcat is not serving requests - but not crashed...

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Please configure Tomcat for logging and restart TC

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/logging.html

Once the exceptions are noted in %TOMCAT_HOME%/logs
please display the contents of the log so we can be of further assistance

Thanks,
Martin
Disclaimer and Confidentiality/Verzicht und Vertraulichkeitanmerkung / Note de déni et de confidentialité
This message is confidential. If you should not be the intended receiver, then we ask politely to report. Each unauthorized forwarding or manufacturing of a copy is inadmissible. This message serves only for the exchange of information and has no legal binding effect. Due to the easy manipulation of emails we cannot take responsibility over the the contents.

Posted by kegliuz <eg...@click2sell.eu>.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
George Sexton wrote:
> Your description is pretty short of information. It's unlikely you will
> get any useful comments. If you would like help, you'll have to provide
> more information.
>
> Which version of 5.5?
>
> What JVM?
>
> What Operating System? If Linux, what Kernel? If Windows, what version
> and Service Packs?
>
> What command line arguments are you using for the JVM?

And are you sure that Tomcat is your webserver ?

Posted by George Sexton <gs...@mhsoftware.com>.

--
George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.

Re: Tomcat is not serving requests - but not crashed...

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.