Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org> on 1999/05/01 19:30:01 UTC

Re: general/4160: Reading large amounts of data

The following reply was made to PR general/4160; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>
To: Peter Gordon <pe...@valor.com>
Cc: apbugs@apache.org
Subject: Re: general/4160: Reading large amounts of data
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 10:27:23 -0700 (PDT)

 On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, Peter Gordon wrote:

 > This is where I am having a problem. From having a look at the source,
 > it looks as if it goes out of its way to limit the size of the
 > incoming information.

 It limits the incoming URI.  You can't use URIs more than about 512 bytes
 without messing up older browsers, so there are various practical limits.
 Apache will handle up to about an 8k URI.

 > When I POST less than 8K, the transfer works
 > successfully. When I post more, I get the error message

 I don't understand how your POST is generating a huge URI.  This is
 outside Apache's control.  POST should generate a request body, and not
 change the URI.  Or perhaps your script is generating a massive URI in the
 action="" field.  If so, then I suggest you move some of the data in that
 URI into hidden fields.

 Dean