Posted to dev@community.apache.org by "Brogee, Paul" <Pa...@uhnresearch.ca> on 2022/07/05 16:41:57 UTC

Open source software - licensing, IP, and commercialization in the context of open science

Hello,

I am hoping to get in touch with someone with expertise in open-source software licensing, IP, and commercialization, particularly in the context of academic computational biology research. I work with the Computational Biology & Medicine program at Princess Margaret Cancer Centre in Toronto. Our research groups develop numerous open-source software packages and web applications geared towards various aspects of cancer research. However, we don't have a clear strategy on software licensing, and how those licenses affect their utility down the line. In particular, there are open questions about how someone can balance the principles of open science with the potential for commercialization. We are interested in speaking to an expert in this area, to help inform our future direction. More specifically, I am interested in setting up a talk or seminar of some kind, depending on the cost. Is this something that members of the Apache software foundation would be interested in being involved in?

Thanks,

Paul Brogee

Program Coordinator

Computational Biology & Medicine Program

Princess Margaret Cancer Centre

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information for the sole use of the intended recipient.
Any review or distribution by anyone other than the person for whom it was originally intended is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender and delete all copies.
Opinions, conclusions or other information contained in this e-mail may not be that of the organization.

If you feel you have received an email from UHN of a commercial nature and would like to be removed from the sender's mailing list please do one of the following:
(1) Follow any unsubscribe process the sender has included in their email
(2) Where no unsubscribe process has been included, reply to the sender and type "unsubscribe" in the subject line. If you require additional information please go to our UHN Newsletters and Mailing Lists page.
Please note that we are unable to automatically unsubscribe individuals from all UHN mailing lists.

Patient Consent for Email:

UHN patients may provide their consent to communicate with UHN about their care using email. All electronic communication carries some risk. Please visit our website here<https://www.uhn.ca/PatientsFamilies/Patient_Safety_Advocacy/Privacy/Documents/Email_consent_and_safety.pdf> to learn about the risks of electronic communication and how to protect your privacy. You may withdraw your consent to receive emails from UHN at any time. Please contact your care provider, if you do not wish to receive emails from UHN.

Re: Open source software - licensing, IP, and commercialization in the context of open science

Posted by Mohammad Wahedi <ma...@gmail.com>.