Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Astrid Keßler <ke...@kess-net.de> on 2003/07/02 19:51:31 UTC

Re: removed
in core.xml

> [Back to the list, because I think it is of general interest.]

Your are right, this should be discussed here.

> On Sun, 29 Jun 2003, Astrid Keßler wrote:

>> Joshua,
>>
>> I didn't realize earlier that you removed the following <br> in
>> core.xml:

> [in a <default> entry]

> The immediate reason I did it was because it screwed things up in LaTeX.
> But, of course, that could be solved other ways (by throwing that field
> into a minibox).

> The more important reason is that I don't believe such block-level
> formatting belongs in that type of field.  The reason is that this data
> could be repurposed and used in any number of ways, and this kind of
> repurposing will be much simpler if the formatting is kept very simple.
> For example, imagine that an apache configuration tool wanted to display
> this information.  Or what about the directive quick-reference? It makes
> it much harder to do stuff like this when there is complex formatting in
> those fields.

The directive quickreference is able to handle this. It uses the first
line only and appends a + sign. Other formatings are able in the same
way. I don't want to block <br>'s just because of some tools. It is
realy easy to transform a <br> into a space. But it is much harder to
add a line break at the right place if you want to offer better
readability; we have to support them.

But there is another point ...

> Really, the <default> shouldn't contain anything at all other than exactly
> what you need to put in the config file to get the default behavior.  In
> cases like ErrorLog where the default is not so simple, we should probably
> just eliminate the field and discuss it in the text.

The overview box should give a _short_ overview. Long (more than one (?)
line) descriptions are better placed in the text. So I tend to agree
with you to replace long defaults, etc. with "see description". Only, I
fear an inflation of "see description"s.

Kess

Re: removed
in core.xml

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
Let me put it this way: My point is that <default> should contain the
default, AND NOTHING ELSE.  Putting any extra formatting, multiple
choices, references, or "see elsewhere" in the field seems like a "type
mismatch" (for want of a better phrase).

I think of the xml structure of the module docs much like a database.  The
xsl transformations should extract data from that database and make it
presentable.  It seems to me that by placing <br> or "see elsewhere", we
are mixing up the content and the presentation.

One solution is to have a <seeusage/> tag that could be transformed into
"see usage" or whatever.  I'm not sure how much better that would be.

One thing to think about: If this is done correctly, then the translations
could source the syntax/context/status/module entries directly out of the
english version.  Only description/compatibility/usage would need to be
translated.

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, Astrid Keßler wrote:
> Wouldn't 2.2 be a good place to switch?

I think error_log/access_log are so much a part of apache that it would be
more painful to switch than any gain in consistency.  Think of all the
hand-written scripts that operate on those names.

Anyway, this is a lot of discussion for a relatively minor issue ;-)  If
you really think I'm wrong, feel free to change it back.

Joshua.

Re: removed
in core.xml

Posted by Astrid Keßler <ke...@kess-net.de>.
> On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, Astrid Keßler wrote:
>> The directive quickreference is able to handle this. It uses the first
>> line only and appends a + sign. Other formatings are able in the same
>> way.

> Absolutely; but why make each new transformation technique more
> complicated than necessary?

It's really hard to read different default values in one line. I
remember, that I had to read it a second and third time. Imho better
readability is worth that small effort.

>> > Really, the <default> shouldn't contain anything at all other than exactly
>> > what you need to put in the config file to get the default behavior.  In
>> > cases like ErrorLog where the default is not so simple, we should probably
>> > just eliminate the field and discuss it in the text.
>>
>> The overview box should give a _short_ overview. Long (more than one (?)
>> line) descriptions are better placed in the text. So I tend to agree
>> with you to replace long defaults, etc. with "see description". Only, I
>> fear an inflation of "see description"s.

> Yes, I think we all basically agree on this.  It is just a question of how
> strict we want to be.  A couple points:

> 1. I'd just drop the field in this case, rather than using "see
> description".

We have this somewhere in the docs. And I remember that I was wondering
if the directive does not have any default value. Removing the whole
field would give a wrong impression to users just scanning the text. A
"see description" would force the user a little bit more, to read the
text.

in core.xml

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.