Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2011/11/01 22:14:33 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduating empire?

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 11:09 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
<ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...For projects developed the Apache way, decision making requires 3
> binding +1's. Once the electorate population falls below 3, no
> decisions can be taken and so no new electors elected. So, a
> population of 3 is the minimum (at least for the Apache model)....

It's a technical minimum, I agree, but I wouldn't accept graduating a
project with only 3 PMC members.

5 looks like a more realistic minimum to make sure the project can
actually get 3 votes when needed.

-Bertrand

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduating empire?

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 10:14 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 11:09 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
> <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ...For projects developed the Apache way, decision making requires 3
>> binding +1's. Once the electorate population falls below 3, no
>> decisions can be taken and so no new electors elected. So, a
>> population of 3 is the minimum (at least for the Apache model)....
>
> It's a technical minimum, I agree, but I wouldn't accept graduating a
> project with only 3 PMC members.
>
> 5 looks like a more realistic minimum to make sure the project can
> actually get 3 votes when needed.

+1

there are TLDs with less active people

http://www.grobmeier.de

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduating empire?

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
<bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> It's a technical minimum, I agree, but I wouldn't accept graduating a
> project with only 3 PMC members.
>
> 5 looks like a more realistic minimum to make sure the project can
> actually get 3 votes when needed.

Depends on what is expected from the PMC members. As mentor I tend to
stick around to ensure things keep running smoothly after graduation
(I'm still member of Pivot as well). While I don't intend on
collecting PMC memberships, this would make the PMC consist of about
4-5 folks. I intend to be able to go emeritus after a while though.

Perhaps Benson would like to stick around as well making the PMC
consist of 5-6 folks.

Martijn