Posted to user@jclouds.apache.org by Fritz Elfert <fr...@fritz-elfert.de> on 2018/12/06 19:53:02 UTC

Serious problem with OpenStack rocky and jclouds GlanceApi

Hi guys,

I just tried using GlanceApi from jclouds 2.1.x against OpenStack Rocky
and it fails hopelessly because OpenStack Rocky does not support glance
API 1.0 anymore :-(

Quote from the release notes at
https://docs.openstack.org/releasenotes/glance/rocky.html:

"This release of OpenStack Glance introduces 2 new API versions. Images
API v2.7 adds support and modifications for the Hidden Images and
Multihash features introduced during Rocky cycle. Version 2.8 is
included as an optional EXPERIMENTAL API for testing and preparing for
multiple back-end support.

Rocky development cycle marks long waited milestone on Glance work. The
Images API v1 which has been deprecated for years is finally removed and
not available at all in Glance version 17.0.0 forward."

So, the obvious question is:

When will jclouds support glance-api >= 2.7 ?

Thanks in advance
 -Fritz

Re: Serious problem with OpenStack rocky and jclouds GlanceApi

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <na...@apache.org>.
Hi Fritz,

That is indeed a real issue, and the main blocker to have it implemented is
the availability of volunteer time to develop that. Currently, no one in
the jclouds team is actually paid to work on jclouds. The project is a 100%
volunteer effort, which makes it difficult to commit to concrete
dates/releases.

Personally, I don't have enough cycles right now to implement it, but I
would be very happy to provide guidance, help and work with anyone that
would like to lead this. Implementing an API like Glance isn't be an
extremely difficult task (we've had GSoC students implement several jclouds
APIs), so it should not be a scary thing to tackle if anyone wants to step
in.

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <na...@apache.org>.
Hi Fritz,