Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Razvan Veina <ve...@ssi-schaefer.ro> on 2004/04/07 15:06:12 UTC

Spaces when rendering PCL format

Hi everyone,

I'm having a strange problem when rendering PCL with FOP, and I wander if
anybody have an idea about this:
I have some kind of a table with some texts in it. The texts may contain one
ore more spaces inside. My problem is that some of the texts containing
spaces are displayed badly. And by badly I mean that the text after the
space is displayed over the ending of
the text before space. It's a little bit difficult to explain in words. It's
like instead of "Line no" I see "Lineno", with "no" starting at the middle
of the "e" character. I noticed that the problem seems to appear so far only
on the first column of my table...

The code that displays a cell with problems is trivial :

<fo:table-cell border-top-style="double" border-top-width="1pt"
border-top-color="black">
<fo:block>Line no</fo:block>
</fo:table-cell>

Any ideas ?
Thanx.

Re: Spaces when rendering PCL format

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
Razvan Veina wrote:

> The width of the column is much bigger than the width of the text. I guess
> you're right about the deficiency of the PCL renderer because I made a very
> interesting change that improved the look of my page: I changed the width of
> my column with a small value, and like magic, the texts were displayed fine.
> But now in some places of the same column the spaces seem to be much bigger
> that a normal space... probably a strange way to calculate the position of
> the texts... It's like when displaying a text composed from many words, each
> word is displayed separately. Isn't it possible to treat these kinds of
> texts like a single word maybe ?...
> Anyway... I'm aware of the differences between the PCL and PDF renderer, but
> I *MUST* get PCL output... that's life, I guess :)

Patches to the PCL Renderer will be most welcome. But be aware that they wont
be applied to the maintenance branch as this is now frozen.

Chris

Re: Spaces when rendering PCL format

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.