Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Onur Senturk <on...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/31 13:35:22 UTC

Turkish character support

Hi i'm trying to use the program called html2pdf which uses apache's fop to
convert html to pdf, i mean fo to pdf. i can create the pdf but I've got
some problem with the turkish character support. The pdf doesn't show the
turkish characters properly. What should i do? How can you help me?

--
Onur Şentürk

Re: Turkish character support

Posted by Onur Senturk <on...@gmail.com>.
I finally did it. The reason why i was unable to get the fonts was because
the font-family was not mentioned in the fo file. Now its ok. Thanks a lot.

Posted by Onur Senturk <on...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Sent to you off-list.

Sanity check: You've added a font-family="TimesNewRoman" or something
like that to your FO document so FOP chooses the right font, haven't you?

On 10.09.2006 18:54:44 Onur Senturk wrote:
> can you do me a favor and send me your configuration file with the fonts?
> i still couldn't manage to get the pdf with right fonts :(
>

> On 9/10/06, Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> wrote:
> >
> > Yes, it works with the Arial and TimesNewRoman fonts that come with
> > Windows.
> >
> > On 10.09.2006 18:41:56 Onur Senturk wrote:
> > > Did you have the opportunity to try it with arial?
> > > The thing is that I have to generate the pdf with Times new roman fonts.

> > right

> > don't

> > fact
> > UTF-8

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Turkish character support

Posted by Onur Senturk <on...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Yes, it works with the Arial and TimesNewRoman fonts that come with
Windows.

On 10.09.2006 18:41:56 Onur Senturk wrote:
> Did you have the opportunity to try it with arial?
> The thing is that I have to generate the pdf with Times new roman fonts.
>

> On 9/10/06, Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> wrote:
> >
> > As I suspected, your copy/paste garbled the file. I didn't get the right
> > characters.
> >
> > Anyway, with your attached file the base 14 fonts included in FOP don't
> > work but Arial and Verdana work. So, if you generate the font metrics
> > file for one of those fonts and configure it with FOP, it works. As I
> > said it's just a matter of choosing a font which contains the missing
> > characters.
> >
> > On 10.09.2006 18:22:32 Onur Senturk wrote:
> > > So you mean, I can use the Arial fonts with no problems, right?
> > > I'll attach the xml right away.

> > Also
> > that
> > right
> > <snip/>

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Turkish character support

Posted by Onur Senturk <on...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.

Posted by Onur Senturk <on...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Hmm, that document renders just fine with the Base14 "serif" font. Also
fonts like Arial or Verdana will come out just fine. Given the fact that
you've pasted the file into an ISO-8859-9 encoded mail with an UTF-8
header leaves me with an uncertainty if I'm really displaying the right
characters. You should usually attach XML files to a mail, not
copy/paste them to avoid any nasty side-effects.

On 10.09.2006 18:02:46 Onur Senturk wrote:
> this is an example fo document:
>

> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
> <fo:root xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format" xmlns:html="
> http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" writing-mode="lr-tb" hyphenate="true"
> text-align="start" role="html"><fo:layout-master-set><fo:simple-page-master
> page-width="auto" page-height="auto" master-name="all-pages"><fo:region-body
> column-gap="12pt" column-count="1" margin-left="2.5cm" margin-bottom="2.5cm"
> margin-right="2.5cm" margin-top="2.5cm"/><fo:region-before
> display-align="before" extent="2.5cm"
> region-name="page-header"/><fo:region-after display-align="after" extent="
> 2.5cm" region-name="page-footer"/><fo:region-start
> extent="2.5cm"/><fo:region-end
> extent="2.5cm"/></fo:simple-page-master></fo:layout-master-set>
>
> <fo:page-sequence hyphenate="true" language="TR"
> master-reference="all-pages"><fo:title/><fo:static-content
> flow-name="page-header"><fo:block font-size="small" text-align="center"
> space-before="0.5in"
> space-before.conditionality="retain"/></fo:static-content><fo:static-content
> flow-name="page-footer"><fo:block font-size="small" text-align="center"
> space-after="0.5in" space-after.conditionality="retain">- <fo:page-number/>
> -</fo:block></fo:static-content><fo:flow
> flow-name="xsl-region-body"><fo:block role="body">
> <fo:block space-before="1em" space-after="1em"
> role="p">abcçdefgðhýijklmnoöprsþtuüvyz</fo:block>
> </fo:block></fo:flow></fo:page-sequence>
> </fo:root>
>

> On 9/10/06, Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> wrote:
> >
> > The "#" means you're using a font that does not contain a particular
> > character you're using. You may need to try a different font. If you
> > post an example FO document here that contains some of the characters
> > you're missing, we might be able to give you a few more suggestions.
> >
> > On 10.09.2006 17:24:07 Onur Senturk wrote:
> > > There is still something wrong. The special characters still appear as
> > "#"
> > > what should i do?

> > thanks

> > 0.20.5

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Turkish character support

Posted by Onur Senturk <on...@gmail.com>.
[...]

role="p">abcçdefgğhıijklmnoöprsştuüvyz</fo:block>

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
The "#" means you're using a font that does not contain a particular
character you're using. You may need to try a different font. If you
post an example FO document here that contains some of the characters
you're missing, we might be able to give you a few more suggestions.

On 10.09.2006 17:24:07 Onur Senturk wrote:
> There is still something wrong. The special characters still appear as "#"
> what should i do?
>
> On 9/10/06, Onur Senturk <on...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > ok, now i'm trying to do the things you told me, on this version. thanks
> > :)
> >
> > On 9/10/06, Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> wrote:
> >
> > > 0.92beta, of course.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Turkish character support

Posted by Onur Senturk <on...@gmail.com>.
Here is the log of the procedure:

FOP ExampleXML2PDF

Preparing...

Input: XML (C:\html2pdf\a.html)

Stylesheet: C:\html2pdf\xhtml2fo.xsl

Output: PDF (C:\fop-0.92beta\pdf_olarank\onur.pdf)

Transforming...

10.Eyl.2006 18:26:24 org.apache.fop.apps.FopFactory getBaseURLfromConfig

INFO: hyphenation-base set to: file:/C:/fop-0.92beta/conf/

10.Eyl.2006 18:26:24 org.apache.fop.apps.FopFactory initUserConfig

INFO: Source resolution set to: 72.0dpi (px2mm=0.35277778)

10.Eyl.2006 18:26:24 org.apache.fop.apps.FopFactory initUserConfig

INFO: Default page-height set to: 11in

10.Eyl.2006 18:26:24 org.apache.fop.apps.FopFactory initUserConfig

INFO: Default page-width set to: 8.26in

10.Eyl.2006 18:26:24 org.apache.fop.apps.FopFactory getBaseURLfromConfig

INFO: base set to: file:/C:/Documents and Settings/onurs/My
Documents/IBM/wsappdev51/workspace2/x_0.92beta/./

10.Eyl.2006 18:26:24 org.apache.fop.apps.FOUserAgent configure

INFO: Target resolution set to: 72.0dpi (px2mm=0.35277778)

10.Eyl.2006 18:26:24 org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.inline.ContentLayoutManager<init>

WARNING: Title has no content

Success!

Posted by Onur Senturk <on...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Onur Senturk <on...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
0.92beta, of course.

On 10.09.2006 16:03:07 Onur Senturk wrote:
> by the way, which version do you suggest me to use? 0.92beta or 0.20.5
> i'm currently using 20.5

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Turkish character support

Posted by Onur Senturk <on...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
If you're starting FOP from the command-line, yes.

If you embed FOP in a Java application, see: http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.92/embedding.html#config-external

On 10.09.2006 14:24:18 Onur Senturk wrote:
> How do i make sure fop uses the configuration file?
> I'm using these arguments "-c userconfig.xml" is this correct?
>

> On 9/10/06, Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> wrote:
> >
> > The next step in the documentation [1]: Register the fonts with FOP by
> > adjusting the user configuration file. Use the conf/fop.xconf as a
> > template.
> >
> > [1] http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.92/fonts.html#register
> >
> > The whole process in short steps:
> > 1. Create a XML font metrics file (use TTFReader for a TTF file)
> > 2. Register the XML font metrics file and the TTF font in the user
> > configuration file.
> > 3. Make sure FOP uses the user configuration file.
> >
> > On 10.09.2006 14:05:03 Onur Senturk wrote:
> > > I did try that too. I converted the ttf file to xml but, what do i have
> > > do next? i copied the xml file to the conf directory, but nothing seemed
> > > have changed.

> > use

> > first

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Turkish character support

Posted by Onur Senturk <on...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
The next step in the documentation [1]: Register the fonts with FOP by
adjusting the user configuration file. Use the conf/fop.xconf as a
template.

[1] http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.92/fonts.html#register

The whole process in short steps:
1. Create a XML font metrics file (use TTFReader for a TTF file)
2. Register the XML font metrics file and the TTF font in the user
configuration file.
3. Make sure FOP uses the user configuration file.

On 10.09.2006 14:05:03 Onur Senturk wrote:
> I did try that too. I converted the ttf file to xml but, what do i have to
> do next? i copied the xml file to the conf directory, but nothing seemed to
> have changed.
>
> On 9/10/06, Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> wrote:
> >
> > Oh, great. I just realized we all failed to see the obvious:
> >
> > Onur, you're trying to create a font metrics XML file from a TrueType
> > font (.ttf) but you're calling the PFMReader to do that. You need to use
> > the TTFReader! PFMReader is for the .pfm files of a Type 1 font.
> >
> > On 31.08.2006 18:16:34 Onur Senturk wrote:
> > > I looked at the FOP website and tried to figure things out. The first
> > thing
> > > i tried was to generate an xml file from a true type font(times new
> > roman).
> > > But i couldn't. How am i supposed to generate it?
> > >
> > > i coded something like this first:
> > >
> > > PFMReader df = *new* PFMReader();
> > ^^^^^^^^
> > >
> > > df.constructFontXML(df.loadPFM
> > > ("c:\\times.ttf"),"TimesNewRoman","","","c:\\times.xml");
> >            ^^^^^^^^
> >
> > <snip/>

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Turkish character support

Posted by Onur Senturk <on...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Oh, great. I just realized we all failed to see the obvious:

Onur, you're trying to create a font metrics XML file from a TrueType
font (.ttf) but you're calling the PFMReader to do that. You need to use
the TTFReader! PFMReader is for the .pfm files of a Type 1 font.

On 31.08.2006 18:16:34 Onur Senturk wrote:
> I looked at the FOP website and tried to figure things out. The first thing
> i tried was to generate an xml file from a true type font(times new roman).
> But i couldn't. How am i supposed to generate it?
>
> i coded something like this first:
>
> PFMReader df = *new* PFMReader();
 ^^^^^^^^

Posted by Onur Senturk <on...@gmail.com>.
When using turkish characters, do i also have to use hyphenation? Do i have
to include other types of fonts or embed them into the pdf file?

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Do you have to do it from Java code? Isn't it simpler to do it from the
command-line? After all, for a font you only have to do this once.

Anyway, I'd remove the "-fn" parameter from the command-line. I've never
needed that and I've never tested it, so I don't even know what it does
exactly. Maybe that helps.

On 31.08.2006 18:16:34 Onur Senturk wrote:
> I looked at the FOP website and tried to figure things out. The first thing
> i tried was to generate an xml file from a true type font(times new roman).
> But i couldn't. How am i supposed to generate it?
>
> i coded something like this first:
>
> PFMReader df = *new* PFMReader();
>
> df.constructFontXML(df.loadPFM
> ("c:\\times.ttf"),"TimesNewRoman","","","c:\\times.xml");
>
> but a fatal exception occured and i couldn't generate the xml file.
>
> Next i tried to run this command:
>
> String[] st = *new* String[3];
>
> *int* i=0;
>
> st[i++] = "-fn times_new";
>
> st[i++] = "c:\\times.ttf";
>
> st[i++] = "c:\\times.xml";
>
> df.main(st);
>
> But nothing seemed to happen either. This message appeared at the console:
>
> [INFO] PFM Reader v1.1
>
> [INFO]
>
> [INFO] java org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.PFMReader [options] metricfile.pfm
> xmlfile.xml
>
> [INFO] where options can be:
>
> [INFO] -fn <fontname>
>
> [INFO] default is to use the fontname in the .pfm file, but
>
> [INFO] you can override that name to make sure that the
>
> [INFO] embedded font is used (if you're embedding fonts)
>
> [INFO] instead of installed fonts when viewing documents with Acrobat
> Reader.
>

> Now what should i do? I'm really stuck :(
>
> On 8/31/06, Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> wrote:
>
> > Turkish characters are likely not to be supported by the default fonts.
> > Have
> > you configured a font with FOP that contains all the Turkish characters
> > you need? Please see the FOP website for details to configure fonts
> > depending on the FOP version you use.
> >
> > On 31.08.2006 13:35:22 Onur Senturk wrote:
> > > Hi i'm trying to use the program called html2pdf which uses apache's fop
> > > convert html to pdf, i mean fo to pdf. i can create the pdf but I've got
> > > some problem with the turkish character support. The pdf doesn't show
> > the
> > > turkish characters properly. What should i do? How can you help me?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Onur ªentürk

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Turkish character support

Posted by Onur Senturk <on...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Turkish characters are likely not to be supported by the default fonts. Have
you configured a font with FOP that contains all the Turkish characters
you need? Please see the FOP website for details to configure fonts
depending on the FOP version you use.

On 31.08.2006 13:35:22 Onur Senturk wrote:
> Hi i'm trying to use the program called html2pdf which uses apache's fop to
> convert html to pdf, i mean fo to pdf. i can create the pdf but I've got
> some problem with the turkish character support. The pdf doesn't show the
> turkish characters properly. What should i do? How can you help me?
>
> --
> Onur ªentürk

Jeremias Maerki