Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Peter Stavrinides <P....@albourne.com> on 2009/07/09 10:36:28 UTC

Re: [Announce] Tapestry Testify project

Hi Paul,

I hope you won't mind if I pick your brain a little more. I may be having an issue again with transitive dependencies.

I have now written a suite of tests using JUnit 4, Mockito (thanks for this tip! ...VERY happy with it) and Testify, it all works great in eclipse but the tests won't run from the command line using mvn test (surefire plugin).

I suspect that Testify is sourcing in JUnit 3.8.1 and TestNG and trying to run my tests with those, and as I have no reference to either in my project I am guessing they come fro Testify... take a look at this debug output:

[INFO] [surefire:test]
[DEBUG] dummy:dummy:jar:1.0 (selected for null)
[DEBUG]   org.apache.maven.surefire:surefire-booter:jar:2.4.3:runtime (selected for runtime)
[DEBUG]     org.apache.maven.surefire:surefire-api:jar:2.4.3:runtime (selected for runtime)
[DEBUG] Adding to surefire booter test classpath: /home/pstavrin/.m2/repository/org/apache/maven/surefire/surefire-booter/2.4.3/surefire-booter-2.4.3.jar
[DEBUG] Adding to surefire booter test classpath: /home/pstavrin/.m2/repository/org/apache/maven/surefire/surefire-api/2.4.3/surefire-api-2.4.3.jar
[DEBUG] dummy:dummy:jar:1.0 (selected for null)
[DEBUG]   org.testng:testng:jar:jdk15:5.8:test (selected for test)
[DEBUG]     junit:junit:jar:3.8.1:test (selected for test)
[DEBUG] Adding to surefire booter test classpath: /home/pstavrin/.m2/repository/org/testng/testng/5.8/testng-5.8-jdk15.jar
[DEBUG] Adding to surefire booter test classpath: /home/pstavrin/.m2/repository/junit/junit/3.8.1/junit-3.8.1.jar
[DEBUG] dummy:dummy:jar:1.0 (selected for null)
[DEBUG] Retrieving parent-POM: org.apache.maven.surefire:surefire-providers::2.4.3 for project: null:surefire-testng:jar:null from the repository.
[DEBUG] Adding managed dependencies for unknown:surefire-testng
[DEBUG]   org.apache.maven.surefire:surefire-api:jar:2.4.3
[DEBUG]   org.apache.maven.surefire:surefire-booter:jar:2.4.3
[DEBUG]   org.codehaus.plexus:plexus-utils:jar:1.5.1
[DEBUG]   org.apache.maven.surefire:surefire-testng:jar:2.4.3:test (selected for test)
[DEBUG]     junit:junit:jar:3.8.1:test (selected for test)
[DEBUG]     org.apache.maven.surefire:surefire-api:jar:2.4.3:test (selected for test)
[DEBUG]     org.apache.maven:maven-artifact:jar:2.0:test (selected for test)
[DEBUG]       org.codehaus.plexus:plexus-utils:jar:1.0.4:test (selected for test)
[DEBUG]     org.testng:testng:jar:jdk15:5.7:test (selected for test)
[DEBUG] Adding to surefire test classpath: /home/pstavrin/.m2/repository/org/apache/maven/surefire/surefire-testng/2.4.3/surefire-testng-2.4.3.jar
[DEBUG] Adding to surefire test classpath: /home/pstavrin/.m2/repository/junit/junit/3.8.1/junit-3.8.1.jar
[DEBUG] Adding to surefire test classpath: /home/pstavrin/.m2/repository/org/apache/maven/surefire/surefire-api/2.4.3/surefire-api-2.4.3.jar
[DEBUG] Adding to surefire test classpath: /home/pstavrin/.m2/repository/org/apache/maven/maven-artifact/2.0/maven-artifact-2.0.jar
[DEBUG] Adding to surefire test classpath: /home/pstavrin/.m2/repository/org/codehaus/plexus/plexus-utils/1.0.4/plexus-utils-1.0.4.jar
[DEBUG] Test Classpath :

Needless to say none of the tests will run as a result. How can I fix this, any idea?

Thanks again for your help.

Peter

Posted by Paul Field <pa...@db.com>.
Hi Peter,

> I suspect that Testify is sourcing in JUnit 3.8.1 and TestNG and
> trying to run my tests with those, and as I have no reference to
> either in my project I am guessing they come fro Testify... take a
> look at this debug output:

You might find it useful to use the Maven "dependency:tree" goal which
will show you all your projects dependencies and the transitive
dependencies.

I can't see that Testify would cause TestNG or JUnit to be pulled into
your project (I'm prepared to be wrong though :-) ).

I know Surefire does some interesting things around picking how to run the
tests. Have you got an explicit JUnit 4 depenency in your pom? Also make
sure you aren't using any TestNG specific things in your Surefire config
(such as suiteXmlFiles).

Other than that, if you could post the results of the dependency:tree
goal, that might help.

-- Paul

---

Please refer to http://www.db.com/en/content/eu_disclosures.htm for additional EU corporate and regulatory disclosures.